Logo

Evinrude 40 Efi missing at full throttle. Possibly voltage related?

Kcooper44

Hey everyone im hoping you can help me out. I have a 2000 Evinrude 40 horse four stroke efi. At wide-open throttle it intermittently misses. I ran it for three hours yesterday with no problems and then all the sudden it started doing it. I’ve change fuel pump, cleaned injectors replaced all fuel lines. New gas, made sure the tank is clean. I have replaced the spark plugs. I think I’ve pretty much ruled out that it’s fuel related. The bulb is also hard while this is happening. Here is the weird thing that I’ve noticed. At about half throttle my voltage gauge reads about 13 to 13.5 V. At wide open throttle, it climbs up to 14 V and as soon as the voltage reaches 14 the engine starts to act up. If I hold the trim button down to drop the voltage it runs great. If I release the button the voltage jumps back up and again as soon as it hits 14 it starts acting up again. I have also checked the regulator/rectifier with a ohmmeter and it checks out fine. I am completely stumped hear any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back