Logo

1987 Evinrude 20hp model E20ELCUR w/OMC Controls

AC2717

Hi Guys,
i have a very healthy 87 Evinrude 20HP 2stroke with OMC controls on the back of my little putt-putt/fisher. It runs smooth so this is more of a throttle control issue.

Putting the boat in gear it goes in just fine forward and reverse as soon as the shifter clicks forward or reverse- so shifter is fine. The issue is when I go to accelerate the throttle is only responsive at like 3/4ths the way forward and the same backward, and at 3/4th the way i get a small increase in power, and then the rest of the way it appears to be wide open. At the same time there is some play in the handle back and forth until rpms kick in at the 3/4th point.
I am guessing i need some other adjustment or maybe even a new cable. - there is almost no adjustment left on the throttle and honestly i can repair many things, but I do not want to really make throttle adjustments without knowing what is needed

I have operated it this way for about 3 years now as it hadn't really bothered me, but I wanted to start to venture out further with it and my daughter has started to operate it more.
Thoughts on this? or need a better description let me know.

c'mon guys, 35 views and no idea's or responses?? please help

oh, Bump, lol
Sounds like you know what to do.Get a new cable and re adjust it and go from there.Maybe you will solve the problem..Go on you tube.should be videos on there to help..

Step #1. With the engine off, put the throttle lever at WOT position. Now, look into the throats of the carbs and look at the position of the butterflies. They should be laying completely flat. If they are that means your cable is adjusted properly and your feeling of being at 3/4 throttle has some other cause.

However, if the butterflies are at some position other than totally flat you have a linkage or cable issue. First, disconnect the cable from the throttle linkage. Manually move the linkage to WOT position and back. If it goes all the way and your linkage feel smooth with no catches or sticky spots then it's possible your cable is shot.

You'll have to open the helm to replace the cable, so while you're in there be sure to clean up old grease and debris, lightly lubricate the mechanism, and reassemble.

KJ

Back