Logo

Honda BF5 gear shift problem

Crusadix

As far as I can remember it is a 2007 Honda BF5 4-stroke engine, may have received a small bump to the engine lower parts while docking (very slow speeds!). Would not go properly into gear after a fishing trip - ended up rowing for an hour.

Somewhat new to managing an outboard engine so practically no experience with engine maintenance so hoping for a shove in the right troubleshooting direction - is this something I can fix on my own?

Thanks in advance to y'all and can provide pictures/additional information if necessary!

Not sure what you mean by won't go into gear properly. Does the shifter not move properly? Or, when you put the shifter into gear, the motor will rev up but not go anywhere?

If it is the latter, then take the prop off and check the shear pin that is in front of the prop. When you hit something, the pin may have sheared.

Mike

The latter, engine seems to run just fine and revving up as usual - the shifter moves but does not seem to do anything. Thank you for the reply, I'll check the pin today and check back in!

As eneusiis suggests, if you do not find the shear pin broken, the next easiest thing is the shift linkage. You can see if the lower unit is connected to the upper shifter mechanism by removing the rubber grommet on midway up the leg....just above the lower unit. There is a clamp that holds the two shift shafts together.

Mike

As suggested, it appears the shear pin indeed was broken up in 3 pieces. Finding a replacement now and hoping this will get the engine working again - thank you greatly for the quick and helpful responses!

Order several and keep them in your tackle box and see if there is a place inside your engine cover where you can store a spare one.

Back