Logo

Milky white oil/water in one cylinder of my '73 65hp

zackclan

The motor started fine out of water so when i went to take it into the water it wouldnt' fire up and the starter was barely moving the flywheel. After doing some checking I popped a plug out and saw a lot of white liquid pour out so i figured it must've been hydrolocked and that's why the starter was struggling.

I'm not sure how the water is getting in though.
the head gasket looks okay.
I took the exhaust cover off and the gasket wasn't in great shape but i'm not sure that was the issue.
now when i turn it over the bottom cylinder still seems like it's grabbing this white liquid from somewhere and I can't figure out where it would continue to be getting the water from. When i turn it over i can see it dripping more white fluid out of the open exhaust ports.

I'll have to replace the exhaust gaskets but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to another possible cause for this?

thanks.

All I can say is that water inside and on the bearings spells DEATH for the motor.----Need to investigate as soon as possible.

https://youtu.be/Y8a2s68j1gM

Quick video of what I'm talking about.

I turned it over with the starter for a sec and it seems like it's not happening as bad anymore.

Could this have been caused by a bad exhaust gasket allowing water into the cylinder and then down into the crank case ?

I don’t think there is anyway to get what’s in there out. Only way I can think of is burning it out but if it won’t start that could be problematic. Try soaking up as much as possible with a rag and screwdriver.
You will need to find where and why it’s coming into the cylinder. Could be many things. I’d start with the headgaskets. Could be a leak from the water jacket through the gasket into the cylinder.,. Could be an actual crack in the water jacket which is leaking into the cylinder. Has it overheated lately?

I don’t think there is anyway to get what’s in there out. Only way I can think of is burning it out but if it won’t start that could be problematic. Try soaking up as much as possible with a rag and screwdriver.
You will need to find where and why it’s coming into the cylinder. Could be many things. I’d start with the headgaskets. Could be a leak from the water jacket through the gasket into the cylinder.,. Could be an actual crack in the water jacket which is leaking into the cylinder. Has it overheated lately?

I didn't see any cracks in the exhaust manifold or heads

I'll be replacing the gaskets for both and trying again, nothing looked too bad though when I took it apart.

Could there be another cause of water getting into the cylinder /crank

I didn't see any cracks in the exhaust manifold or heads

I'll be replacing the gaskets for both and trying again, nothing looked too bad though when I took it apart.

Could there be another cause of water getting into the cylinder /crank
I’m no mechanic but when I was getting water in my cylinder, my water pump was faulty. That’s the only way water gets into the anything. I’d go there and work your way up.
My waterpump had a severe blockage (a bushing and rubber seal fell down into the waterpump and got wedged) that caused the waterpump housing to melt. Was still getting water from the tell tail so I overlooked the waterpump for awhile until my dad suggested it. So we took it off and found all that. My evidence was the engine was getting really hot. I also had oily fuel coming from upper leg which has both stopped since the replacement.
My dad thinks that the water that was being pushed through the waterpump was heating up so much it evaporated. That condensation accumulated in the cylinder through (soon as the steam touches a spot that’s cooler then the heated area it will become water droplets). Far fetched I was thinking but since the change we’ve notice less and less water ( being burned off by the plugs). Deffinetly just a theory though but waterpump would be a good place to start in my eyes.

If you got the heads off already, you also might wanna look really close for hair line cracks in the water jacket. Very plausible there is a crack below the cylinder head you can’t see by looking into the cylinder housing becuase the head blocks your view. The waterjacket is as deep as the cylinder to cam...

That model is notorious for water ingestion from the exhaust cover gaskets. The inner cover plate warps in the exhaust port area and no longer compresses the gasket. The usual result is powerhead death. Sorry 'bout that.

You must have one helluva leak, from your description.

Back