Logo

I'm Not Sure

willow

Regular Contributor
A fellow wants to buy my boat
The engines are twin Crusader 350cu ...V Drives
He wants to go from Lake Ontario, to NY and then the ICW to Florida and spend the winter in FL

My engines are RAW water cooled...Can he do the trip and stay the winter in FL ???

Can the engines be modified to Fresh Water cooled??

I'm kinda thinking the engines wouldn't be too happy immersed in salt water for a long period of time...

Had a raw water cooled engine in Florida - not good. Uses a 145 degree t-stat which accelerates wear and the block rusts rapidly from the inside out. FWC cooled is clearly the way to go on a large boat is salt water.

A fellow wants to buy my boat
The engines are twin Crusader 350cu ...V Drives
He wants to go from Lake Ontario, to NY and then the ICW to Florida and spend the winter in FL

My engines are RAW water cooled... Can he do the trip and stay the winter in FL ???
It's up to the buyer as to whether or not he wants to run these in ocean water. If he does, he should install the 140* thermostats as to reduce the risk of salt crystallization.

Can the engines be modified to Fresh Water cooled??
That would a Closed Cooling System.
There is an issue with converting from an "open" system to a "Closed Cooling system", in that previous rust scale will eventually find it's way into the exterior of the heat exchanger's tube bundle.
If excessive, if may eventually begin preventing the tube bundle from dumping it's engine heat into the seawater.
At first you will OK.... but as times goes on, it may begin to give you trouble.

I'm kinda thinking the engines wouldn't be too happy immersed in salt water for a long period of time...
Correct!

Back