Logo

Fuel pump problem

I have a 1976 Johnson formula E 70hp it hasn't been ran in about 18 months I have replaced the plugs impeller,lower unit grease it started right up went though no wave some all was good increased throttle can up on plane ran about 7- miles wide open then slowly down throttled into neutral and motor sounded like it was not getting enough gas and cut off,would not refire pulled a plug and had spark to engine changed fuel tank,gas line to motor still nothing.came home found a fuel line with a small leak going into the middle carb,removed filter screen in fuel pump it was clean,replaced leaking fuel line and it started right up with having no ran in so long should I replaced fuel pump sorry so long trying to give all information I can thanks

Ran it this morning it starts right up for about 2 seconds cuts off will refire for 1-2 seconds cuts off won't restart until I pump primer bulb I think Iam forcing fuel into carbs and motor will run until fuel in bowls is used up, I guess floats sticking in the bowl full position would also cause this but I can't see all 3-floats sticking at the same time thanks for your help.

Sounds like a faulty fuel pump. If you say it empties the bowls and they don’t fill again. That would indicate fuel being put into the carb bowls but not consistently meaning the pump isn’t pumping. I’d change out the pump. 18 months Is awhile with the same fuel sitting...

I haven't looked into the but that's how it's acting like I am forcing fuel into bowls looks like fuel goes into middle carb then tees the the top a d bottom carb,ordered new fuel pump lastnite will give update after its replaced thanks for all.the help

Up date new fuel pump arrived today put it on this afternoon motor fired right up throttled up as it should turned it off started right back up turned it off for about a hour and fired right up at the crack of the key real test will be on the river thanks for all the information.

Back