Logo

78 115hp Evinrude forward gear and prop shaft stuck

Canadianwalleye

Regular Contributor
Took apart the lower unit. Investigating why I can’t get reverse and metal fileings in the drain plug and rod magnet area.
I’ve got everything apart but can’t figure out why the clutch dog,forward gear, prop shaft and shift rod assist will not come out.
It seems like it is attached at the very back but I can’t see where from. Did I miss a step?
I was under the impression the prop shaft should have came out with the forward gear and the clutch dog. When it didn’t i sssumed needed to take off the drive shaft. When I did that and still it didn’t come out I’m confused now.
Anyone have any ideas as to what I missed. What should I try to get it out?
I’m sure the shift assist is messed up but can’t confirm until I remove it. Shifting it is very hard... please help!

The driveshaft and pinion has to be removed, then push down fully on shift rod and unscrew it. Then yank out the propshaft, forward gear and front bearing housing.

The driveshaft and pinion has to be removed, then push down fully on shift rod and unscrew it. Then yank out the propshaft, forward gear and front bearing housing.

Mall of this is done except I can’t yank out the prop shaft. It seems like it’s “bolted in “ somewhere. I’ve even tried hooking up a wrench to the prop
shadt and hitting it with a hammer. No luck.

543A0683-9E10-40BA-B2DE-C39AB8B3194A.jpgHere is a picture where i believe it is still attached/stuck. This is the shift rod connection at the bottom. Back top of the shift assist... seems attached still...

Got it out. Needed to soak in some WD and carb cleaner. Sat for a day and then came out no problem. The shift assist was wedged from previous damage to the nose of the leg! Now to replace the rounded clutch dog, missing teeth and cracks on the pinion, massive grind down on back of the reverse gear and lobbed clutch dog pairing surface, forward gear also has grind ware on face and back. I’m assuming everything was out of alignment from the impact it took prior to me getting it. Eather that or the guy didn’t put it back together right.
esther way, I’m making progress. Now to find $600 for all the gears pinion and clutch... MONEY PIT!!!!

Back