Logo

Having trouble getting spark on all cylinders

Just a bit more information???
Year, hp, serial#

To answer your question? it could take a week and I'd be giving you the wrong info??
Gotta know what I'm looking at :)

CDI box or the stator trigger.. That is if you have already checked the coils. Strated having troubles on the water yesterday and have decided that even though my little 35 long is in time capsule low hours condition, I'm not putting another dime into it, nor am I waiting 3 weeks to get it back from the one and only guy in S.E. WI that has the knowledge to work on , has the NOS parts , or is even willing to work on it.

I'm going to look for a motor that has a better track record..
Been looking for the right '87-89 40 OMC for nearly 3 years and have given up, gonna chase a Yami 2 stroke down.

Really don't like drilling new mounting holes, but enough is enough.

Information?

Peedenmark7 Why would you want to buy a motor that's 30 years old??

You try outboardignitiondotcom?

Try Craigslist when looking for a Force/Chrysler mechanic.
Or try a post with your problem and maybe someone can help?

Why not a motor that is 30 years old? Certainly easier to work on , parts may get pricey, but in this particular instance I'm working on a boat that is in garage queen -time capsule condition, and to me it's worth keeping period correct.

Unfortunately someone spent for a better brand of boat, but cheaped out on the motor.

Rev limiter on a 89/85?? I don't think so????
What did you adjust?

outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures.
Try swapping the packs around.

I tested coils both test good, I even went so far as to swap them around . Same issue I pull the bottom plug boot and the motor shuts off.
I just threw an NOS power pack in it, and the same issue exists.
About ready to send this Farce off to the scrapper.

That sounds like a trigger wire might be loose/broken?
Or the stator's bad?

The trigger wires are very thin and break under the shrink wrap.
Try pulling on each wire and see if it pulls out of the connector.
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for 89/85hp. 3cyl.

The 3 1/4-20 holes in the top of the flywheel are used to install a puller.
Lots of times they strip out.
I use a BIG 3 jaw puller, a hammer, and an impact wrench and sometimes an acetylene torch.

Be careful.
I loosen the top nut and then put it back on a few turns.
The sudden pressure release can send the wheel flying.

there are no holes for anything but the manual rope pull bracket on top of the flywheel.
Am I to assume that I need an 8" or bigger gear puller to get the fly wheel off.

This has to be the stator trigger, I cant see the stator putting out to only half.

Ok.. To date, New power pack, New stator trigger, New rectifier. examined the stator wires and they look good, nothing that would indicate burned etc.
I pull the bottom plug boot the motor still shuts off, pull the bottom plug and try to start, it wont.
I tested for spark on both coil wires with a clip on timing light, both coil wires trigger the light.
I pulled both plugs and grounded them and I can see spark on both plugs.
I swapped the plugs around and both are good NGK's with few hours.
I tested the compression and have 120 on the top and 122 on the bottom.
Even went so far as to dump a little gas in the top cylinder hole to see if it was not getting gas for some reason, still doesn't fire.

At my wits end here.

Is the top plug fuel fouled when not adding gas?
Weak spark/no under compression.
Swap coils, see if it follows?
Try different plugs even if they are new.

I swapped the coils around already, and they also measure the same.
Going to pick up some new plugs and see what I get.
Although I'd be tickled pink to get it up and running , I'd be a bit po'd if it a simple plug

2 new plugs... Idle on the one cylinder is better, but still nothing up top.
So its gotta be stator, or I bought a bad trigger or module which I seriously doubt.

outboardignitiondotcom or CDIignition both have test procedures for your components.

You have a tach? Try unhooking it, sometimes they can cause the problem.

I was told by a local marine dealer that the fuel pump could be defective causing this symptom. I would think you either have fuel to both or you do not,
but he said he'd bet the farm that's the issue.

I pulled the fuel pump today and the upper or smaller part of the diaphragm has a tear in it... top plug dry and new looking, bottom plug looks like a firing plug.
Pump ordered, we shall see...
Gonna be ticked if a threw a CDM, stator trigger, and rectifier at this and it was an $18 pump.

Last edited:
Ben Perry started this post on June 15.
His last post was June 18th
Then peedenmark7 seems to hijack it in July???

Ben was working on a 85hp.
Peeden seems to be working on a small 2 cyl.??

Peeden tell me what were fixin??
Whats it doing?

You should start your own thread.

Ben Perry started this post on June 15.
His last post was June 18th
Then peedenmark7 seems to hijack it in July???

Ben was working on a 85hp.
Peeden seems to be working on a small 2 cyl.??

Peeden tell me what were fixin??
Whats it doing?

You should start your own thread.

Hey Jerry, I posted to this thread because it was relevant, and does this board really need another force no spark thread ?
Instead of wasting thread space telling me to start a new thread , which will only repeat much of what was already said, maybe read my posts thoroughly and offer a solution, and if not , skip over it and mind your own business.

Last edited:
Maybe you should read the rules??
You did read them didn't you?
"If your question has not already been asked on the board, post a new message in an appropriate area."

It's easier to work on one problem at a time.

One minute I'm working on a 3 cyl.
then it's a 2 cyl. Confusing

If you look at most of the posts on the Force/Chrysler forum??
It is my business because I answer a lot of the questions.

From now on I'll make sure I don't work any of your problems.

Last edited:
Snarky comments such as these are why many people no longer join forums... You seemed to have no problem chiming in several times, and had nothing to say about supposedly "hijacking" a thread then.

The issue to date has not been not resolved,and as I don't have endless time to tinker, or sit online waiting for replies, my recent post simply pointed out other advice.
As for not offering further advice or info, so be it, your really posts led me nowhere anyway.

Back