Logo

adjusting shift and throttle linkages 2003 115 elpt4s

eric80

Regular Contributor
HI my 2003 115 ELPT4S is not shifting well.
My Clymer's manual threw me off and i'm trying to undo what I did.

there are two cables.
the lower cable adjusts the transmission linkage and I think i have it shifting ok now
earlier in this project I was thinking the upper cable was the transmission linkage and did some adjustments
before I start tinkering with the upper cable I wanted ask, am I able to tell i have this upper linkage (throttle?) correct?
what movement am i looking for?

i.e. if it's adjusted one way when the lower cable puts the transmission in gear the throttle (upper) linkage takes awhile to move.
If I adjust it the other way the throttle linkage moves quite quickly with the transmission linkage.

Is there the perfect adjustment and how can I tell I have it correct?

throttle linkage.jpg

To figure out which cable is which,disconnect them at the engine,shift into gear,the cable that moves first is the shift cable.
Put engine and control into neutral.Adjust cable until it fits on the shift arm,then load a couple turns in favor of forward.Connect cable to engine and check.

I just got done replacing my shift cable and throttle cable on same motor just a 2004. I think you want the shift cable to go into gear at low rpm (700 rpm) when in neutral. I found that when your in neutral, then shift to forward, you still have rpms that will move forward slowly. Once you advance the throttle to get up is when you see the change at the throttle cable attachment.

both correct thanks. I did find I didn't have to roll the barrel adjuster much to get the proper movement.
turn to many times one way shifting is stiff to many times the other same.
one or two turns found the sweet spot.
thanks have a safe summer

Back