Logo

2014 8hp no start

eric80

Regular Contributor
HI well the trailer blew a tire on the highway last week and i didn't want to leave my 2014 yamaha 8hp four stoke unlocked on the boat.

unfortunately i laid the motor down on the wrong side and oil got into the carb and cylinders.

took the carb apart, took out the small screws including the low idle one. (two screws in the bowl cavity then a 3rd one under neath one of them) carb cleaner sprayed liberally, cleaned the spark plugs. No start. No burp.
Yes I am getting spark. Yes gas is going into the bowl.
when i manually lift the float and blow air into the gas intake i'm getting air coming out but not much)
when i prime the gas the bulb is solid.
emergency lanyard kill switch is in place.

History of this motor is it's basically new. very very few hours.
haven't ran it for a few years. Left gas in the carb when i put it away.

Manual start.

any ideas?

Last edited:
Mat have to drain any oil out of cylinders.-----Tried a bit of quickstart to see if it will as least sputter a bit ?

hi i pulled the plugs and pulled the cord cylinders move find and are not squirting oil out the plug hole
that said i'll try your start suggestion

there are two chambers in the carb
the chamber where the float is and then on the top of the carb anther cavitity. covered by a plate and rubber washer
if i take off the plate and washer should i see gas?

I think that might be part of the starting / choke system.----An 8 HP motor only needs one float bowl for fuel.----

Back