Logo

Need help please with a 150hp 2004

Charliethetuna

Hi everyone ,I have a 2004 150hp Johnson
..i can't seam to figure out the problem ..when I go over 4000 rpm the check engine goes off ,I then throttle back down to idol and the light clears ...i change a bunch of stuff .I'll list what changed below
New vro pump
New pickup tube
New gas lines
New anti siphon valve
New water fuel seporateor
Vent and on gas tanks clear
Compression on all cylinders is good (via mechanic)
Any ideas ?

I know you said Johnson & that should make it carbureted, but can we have a model number. You have about covered all the bases for fuel restrictions. Does the boat have built in tank/tanks or portable? You might remove the anti siphon valve temporarily. See if that makes a difference. Is the valve aluminum bodied? Brass ones are better. Hose/bulb quality can be suspect in short order even though you replaced it, but I wouldn't expect a problem first time you use it?
Enough water in the fuel will prevent fuel passage in your water separator depending on micron size.

Last edited:
Do you have system check gauges? Do you maybe have an over heating condition? It’s possible your water pump is shot and can’t supply enough water at high speed. You might also look at your thermostats. Maybe one or both are sticking a little and restricting water flow.

KJ

Do you have system check gauges? Do you maybe have an over heating condition? It’s possible your water pump is shot and can’t supply enough water at high speed. You might also look at your thermostats. Maybe one or both are sticking a little and restricting water flow.

KJ

I have a system check light and alarm .the water pump is about 2 years old and pissed fine,I also have an engine hot light that will go off if it overheats that's fine ...

This is the model number J150pxsrb. I took the anti syhon ball out to male sure and it still didn't help either way ,the boat has a gas tank built in ...my next step will be bringing a portable gas tank with me and hooking that up straight to the engine

I also just got the boat back from a mechanic who said all the butterfly were out of wak on the carbs he resynced them.i finally took the boat out yesterday for a ride and now I can get about 4600 rpms so maybe that issue is fixed ..i would have gotten more rmps but I did a stupid I left the plug in on the boat in my driveway and between washing it and all the rain we had the bottom was filled with water .as I was driving the boat the check engine light kept coming on .,hen I would hit 4000 rmps and the boat was struggling to get up on plan...when i would bring it back down to 1000rpm the xheck engine light would clear on its own ..I drained all the water and spoke to my mechanic he told me that the check engine light was most likely due to the battery being under the water ,and that they might be shot now .So I guess that kinda makes sense ..my next step will be to charge the battery back up ,load test them,and try it all again ..there was alotta water in the boat maybe that's y I couldn't get past 4600 rmps and the check engine light came on because the water covered the battery

I would agree that the boat full of water would hold your RPMs down. On a carb model engine the check engine light is only controlled by the vacuum switch which indicates fuel restriction? Now when things get wet all kinds of things can happen & do, but I'm not sure you have found your true problem yet. Do not continue to run your motor at high RPMs with the check engine light on.

I'm gonna try it again tommorrow ..i dried the boat out pretty good ,pulled the battery out charged them up and brought them to a shop and had them load tested they were both still good ,I put them back in and well see what happens tommorrow ..the check engine light was never coming on before the water and when I could get over 4k rpm.this is killing me ,this is my 4 th season of going threw this ,I've taken it to 3 diffrent mechanics and they all fix something that makes no difference, I wish I could just get it fixed once and for all I don't care the cost .i guess ill find out if its fixed tommorrow ..wish me luck and thanks fornthe help I'll let you how it goes

I would agree that the boat full of water would hold your RPMs down. On a carb model engine the check engine light is only controlled by the vacuum switch which indicates fuel restriction? Now when things get wet all kinds of things can happen & do, but I'm not sure you have found your true problem yet. Do not continue to run your motor at high RPMs with the check engine light on.

Really appreciate the help bro thansk I'll keep you posted

Any chance the VRO tank was under water ?-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads , yes or no ?-----Did you change the prop by any chance ?----Do a compression test today.

The bro tank is the oil tank ?
When u mean pull a 3/8 gap u want me to run the engine and pull a spark plug wire off then bring it a 3/8 distance and see if the wire jumps the 3/8 gap to the plug?

?----Spark must jump a gap of 3/8" or more using a tester.---Done when cranking the motor over.--Sparkplugs are not used to do this test.---Google it ----Make your own tester or buy one for about $10 or so.-----These motors will run surprisingly well on 5 of 6 cylinders.

I think I found the problem ,looks like 2 of my carb bowls are cracked ..i took a picture but can figure out how to post it here. I wanted you guys to see if it looks cracked to u ..do u think a crack can be causing my issues?

Back