Logo

Engine noise

flagday84

I ran my 19 foot center console with a 1994 120hp Force 2-stroke and had a pretty bad sounding noise coming out of it at higher RPMs. You can take a listen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9SpbtaiT_k
We ran the engine in the yard on muffs and never had the noise, even when revving it up, it seems to only happen when under load. I would think that if it was coming from within the cylinders that it would happen all the time or am I wrong about that? Also, the engine wouldn't shift into reverse which is a new problem as well. It would grind gears every time I tried. Is it possible that the reverse issue and that sound are connected? Would appreciate any guidance on diagnosing the issue.
Thanks very much for your replies.

I'd do a compression test and inspect the plugs??
Then if possible?? look inside the cyl. for any damage??
Another thing, try spraying starting fluid around the base of the carbs and the port covers.
The covers are over each cyl. on the side where the ignition parts are.
If spraying makes any difference?? then your sucking air and have a bad gasket/seal someplace??

You do anything to the timing?

The shifting? check the linkage when the motors off and someone shifts and you turn the prop with your foot.
It's possible the linkage came loose?

I'd do a compression test and inspect the plugs??
Then if possible?? look inside the cyl. for any damage??
Another thing, try spraying starting fluid around the base of the carbs and the port covers.
The covers are over each cyl. on the side where the ignition parts are.
If spraying makes any difference?? then your sucking air and have a bad gasket/seal someplace??

You do anything to the timing?

The shifting? check the linkage when the motors off and someone shifts and you turn the prop with your foot.
It's possible the linkage came loose?

Jerry, thanks for your reply. I just bought a bore scope and am going to check out the inside of the cylinders Fri am. Will also check compression.
Reverse was working when we ran it on muffs although it was a little loud when putting it in gear. But when we were in the water there was a bad grinding sound when I tried reverse. I know this could just be a completely separate problem but also wondering (maybe hoping) that the loud noise from the video is related to the shifting problem instead of a cylinder/piston issue. I'll report back when I know more, thanks again.

The cylinders and walls all look ok.

Any noise in the lower should never be affected by the pistons.

That would be a bad gear set or cable out f adjustment.

Look on u-tube for videos of people adjusting the linkage.

Back