Logo

Stuck canister on FCC

matta0413

Contributing Member
I am changing the fuel filters in the Fuel Control Cell for the first time. So of course I change the starboard one first because it is easily accessible and this is my first time doing it. Well it was a piece of cake. 10 minutes and I was done. So I am confident now and move over to the port side motor which is tucked in the corner in the engine compartment. I get the oil filter wrench on the canister and start pulling. I got good leverage from the angle I had too. I was pulling so hard I was afraid I was going to break the bracket. And tricks for getting these canisters to break free? Can't really use penetrating spray as it will just drip down.

I am changing the fuel filters in the Fuel Control Cell for the first time. So of course I change the starboard one first because it is easily accessible and this is my first time doing it. Well it was a piece of cake. 10 minutes and I was done. So I am confident now and move over to the port side motor which is tucked in the corner in the engine compartment. I get the oil filter wrench on the canister and start pulling. I got good leverage from the angle I had too. I was pulling so hard I was afraid I was going to break the bracket. And tricks for getting these canisters to break free? Can't really use penetrating spray as it will just drip down.

I just had this issue on a different manufacturer's spin on fuel filter. I detached the bracket and hoses and brought it to my bench, and then I dealt with it. :mad:

Thanks Dave, That is what I was thinking but I really was hoping to avoid that based on the location of this thing. But like anything else the more you think of something the more ideas you come up with. I am going to tray two filter wrenches. One on the head of the unit and one on the canister. If I can get two hands on it I will be able to apply pressure in both directions without too much pressure on the bracket. Gonna give that a shot. I hope.

maybe a pry bar to help stabilize the filter head...??? a lot will depend on the access of the install...

Its a Tiara, with the cockpit floor that lifts up and the canister is about 10 inches from the bulkhead and that is where the floor is hinged so not much room

Its a Tiara, with the cockpit floor that lifts up and the canister is about 10 inches from the bulkhead and that is where the floor is hinged so not much room

chain wrench with hammer taps is what it took to do mine last w/e. The chain digs in and makes some severe dents to keep it from slipping.

So as to not break anything, I did what Dave said and it worked out fine. When I was finally able to get the bottom of the canister off of the top where it hooks into the bracket, I found the gasket was corroded ( I think it was corrosion, I guess it could have been a sealant) and once I had the right angle on the torque, she slipped right off. Cleaned her up and now she won't be such a PITA to do next year.

Just an idea. My luck is when I force it, I usually break it and make way more work and expense for myself.

Duke1

Back