Logo

Disassembly of 5hp Gale Buccaneer Motor

MatthewL

Hi,

I recently got a 5hp Gale Buccaneer outboard model 5D10B. I don't have much experience with engines, I am only using this for a wooden boat I am building. I have a few equations about disassembling a certain part of the motor, which I can't figure out on my own. I probably shouldn't go this far in my restoration, but I do have experience restoring vintage machine tools. Because of my inexperience with engines, I do not know all of the names of these parts, so hopefully what I say isn't too confusing.
Here are the photos of the part I need help on:
IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1392.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg
There are three sections. In the first photo on far right is a small "section" (probably has a name) where the power head was bolted onto (I will refer to it as section 1). On the far left of the first photo is a "section" where the lower assembly was bolted to (I will call it section two). And, in between the two sections is the middle segment (called section 3) where the transom clamp assembly was attached. Section 3 spins freely, where as sections 1 and 2 remain stuck together. I am trying to take apart these sections to clean them, paint them, and to fix a piece of metal which was bent. I have removed all noticeable bolts and pins which could keep it together, but they are stuck. It appears as if sections 1 and 2 are press fit on pipe that section 3 is able to rotate around. So, I tried heating up section 1 with a propane torch, I put a wood dowel through where the drive shaft was, and I hit the end of the dowel with a rubber mallet hoping section 1 would come off. Sadly, it did not. I am not sure what else to try. If anyone has taken apart this motor (or similar), or has some insight as to how to disassemble this section. I would appreciate a response.

Thanks,
-Matthew

I have finally figured out how to get it apart. After reviewing an exploded parts diagram to make sure there where no bolts I had not yet removed, I created a puller. It was just a long aluminum rod, some plate steel and some threaded rods.
Now that I have It apart, I would like to replace the bushings that are used in in the mounting bracket tube part meant to aid steering. They seem to be made from some sort of plastic. Does anyone know what this plastic is? Does it need to be this particular plastic? Could I turn some new ones out of Delrin or Teflon or a similar material? Also does anyone know what the water pump impeller rubber is made from? My impeller is in nice condition, but there is an o-ring made from what appears to be the same material that I broke. I would like to try and cast a new one. Could I just use a silicone rubber?

Thanks,
-Matthew

Hi Matthew,
I know this thread is old but, I have a '52 Gale Goodyear SeaBee 5 Hp (5D10G or 025-3569). I can't get the lower end plates off to replace the impeller.
I am stuck with the shift cable on a spring and the driveshaft that I cannot get the plates over to enable access to the pump and impeller.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm half afraid to disconnect the shift cable from the lever.
Thanks,
Slimbob

I have finally figured out how to get it apart. After reviewing an exploded parts diagram to make sure there where no bolts I had not yet removed, I created a puller. It was just a long aluminum rod, some plate steel and some threaded rods.
Now that I have It apart, I would like to replace the bushings that are used in in the mounting bracket tube part meant to aid steering. They seem to be made from some sort of plastic. Does anyone know what this plastic is? Does it need to be this particular plastic? Could I turn some new ones out of Delrin or Teflon or a similar material? Also does anyone know what the water pump impeller rubber is made from? My impeller is in nice condition, but there is an o-ring made from what appears to be the same material that I broke. I would like to try and cast a new one. Could I just use a silicone rubber?

Thanks,
-Matthew

Hi there Matthew,
i recently purchased a '55 gale bucaneer motor 5hp along with a '69 Arkansas Traveler boat. a bit used and abused id assume; no real clear history on it.just hoping to get any kind of info on making sure motor is water ready and quite frankly how to use the motor down to the basics.

Please help!

-John

Back