Logo

Can't find a neutral safety switch on my AQ260 280 outdrive

Windy Bay

Contributing Member
So as I am rewiring the boat I discover I do not have a conventional neutral safety switch. I can't find one anywhere. I think it should be in the Throttle control, but there is not one there. Pics attached as PDF. sorry a 1981 boat, 280 sterndrive, Not really sure which engine, but I think it is either a aq260a or b.

Attachments

• throttle.pdf
    271.6 KB · Views: 82
The yellow/red stripe wire is the start wire if there is no switch in that circuit there is no safety switch. You may need to get a different control and cables to install one unless you can find a parts diagram of that control.

So as I am rewiring the boat I discover I do not have a conventional neutral safety switch. I can't find one anywhere. I think it should be in the Throttle control, but there is not one there. Pics attached as PDF. sorry a 1981 boat, 280 sterndrive, Not really sure which engine, but I think it is either a aq260a or b.

Your thread title says; "Can't find a neutral safety switch on my AQ260 280 outdrive".

As Kim suggests, if there is a neutral safety switch, it will be at the throttle/shift control unit.
If there and working correctly, it will either interrupt or make continuity of the yellow/red stripe starter motor solenoid circuit.

Follow the yellow/red stripe wire from the key switch's "S" terminal back to the engine bay.

There is a chance that your older throttle/shift unit does not offer that feature.

Last edited:

The pictured throttle control DOES NOT have a neutral safety switch. While it is possible for you to jig one up using a microswitch, if you want one you will have to replace the control and wire in that switch. I've never owned a boat with a neutral safety switch ( since 1964). It's not a deal killer and on occasions the "lack" of this "feature" saved the day... In both cases, carb issues prevented the engine from running below 1200 rpms making a conventional start in neutral and thereby shifting @ 1200 rpm a risky thing for the transmission.

Thanks for the replies. I am re-wiring the boat, and expected to see one. I went over the schematics I could find, and it was hit or miss weather there was one. Just never seen that before. Hasn't been an issue yet, but I believe in safety first.

Neutral safety switches IMHO, are a response to law suits from people who were not mindful enough of what they are doing as to unintentionally start the engine in gear while jazzing the throttle or at significantly open throttle settings...in close quarters.

I saw a small fiberglass boat punch a huge hole in a old wooden sailboat just above the waterline at the fuel dock in edmonds WA. IMO its like disabling the safety on a gun someone could end up dead.

Just an update. Found a similar one on e bay. It did require me to take the parts from both to make one good shift unit with the neutral safety switch. After getting the one from ebay, I discovered all I was missing was a plastic piece that went on the shifter and the switch itself. after taking it apart and putting it together about 5 times I got it working.

Back