Logo

Convert to an electronic ignition GM 4-620

Okaucheecedar

I'm looking for information on the possible conversion of a Gray Marine 4-620 6 volt ignition system to a 12 volt electronic system. Does anyone have any experience with doing such a conversion? Where did you get the parts?

Welcome to ME.com.

The folks over at oldmarineengine.com are more familiar with the older Gray engines. Most of the gas engines use a continental block so that may help in finding a kit for the distributor. another option would be to contact the tech support shop for the kits you are looking at....either way, the distributor info is critical.

the final thing to remember is the distributor is old and likely to need some maintenance work....so, it may be work removing it and getting a good shop to go thru it....they may even be able to get a conversion kit for you.

Welcome to ME.com.

the final thing to remember is the distributor is old and likely to need some maintenance work....so, it may be worth removing it and getting a good shop to go thru it....they may even be able to get a conversion kit for you.

I'll second that.
Old rusty, corroded and compromised advancing systems may no longer offer the correct degree of progressive ignition advance.
Too little, and the engine will not perform correctly.
Too much, and the engine will be at risk!

I am new to this forum today. I have a 1961 Lyman with a 188 Graymarine. I just purchased the boat and I am not getting any water exhaust out of the starboard exhaust. I have replaced all engine hoses and water pump impeller. The impeller was intact 100 percent. I can feel water going through the hoses on that side, but none is coming out of the exhaust. Any and all help/ tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Welcome to ME.com!!

first off, you found the correct forum but should have started you own thread (start new thread button)....that said, have you separated the elbows from the manifolds? The elbows will clog up over time and have finite service lives..... depending on the environment, I'd say ten years is the best case....five is more typical, especially in salt water.... I'm pretty sure Barr is about the only source for replacements nowadays...

Back