Logo

1984 Mercury 25xd shift rod won’t move...

toolagit2qwit

1984 Mercury 25xd shift rod won’t move up or down. I’ve search all over but can’t find fix on this topic. Removed lower unit to change impeller. When I pull or push on rod it won’t budge. I also reinstalled unit and it won’t move when connected. What are my options to fix this? Note: gear oil is full, when I turn prop clockwise it clicks...I can turn counterclockwise and no clicking. It’s not in neutral no free spin. Thanks inadvanced for you help.

Yes, that was the first thing I did. The unit came out smoothly with shift rod in tact. The issue I have with unit out or installed is the shift rod won’t move up or down to select gears (FWD,N or R). To be clear, everything was working properly before i removed unit. Nothing was forced. All
normal. It’s like the shift rod is stuck in forward gear. It won’t manually move up or down or when installed using the tiller...is there a procedure to reset it?

Last edited:
My guess is that the shift rod popped up when the lower unit was removed. Pull the lower again and if you can push it back down. If not you have to remove the propshaft to.get it to drop.

I have a similar issue.. I did try and lower the leg but did not disconnect the shift rod. I checked the tube where the water comes out and it was plugged.. cleaned that out.. so figured the leg would go bak on no problem.. I can only get the leg on and bolted in forward gear.. . but will not go in to neutral or obviously reverse.. any body have any ideas.. thank you..

I have a similar issue.. I did try and lower the leg but did not disconnect the shift rod. I checked the tube where the water comes out and it was plugged.. cleaned that out.. so figured the leg would go bak on no problem.. I can only get the leg on and bolted in forward gear.. . but will not go in to neutral or obviously reverse.. any body have any ideas.. thank you..

You should start your own thread. But you need to take the lower unit aprt to put the shift rod back in.

Back