Logo

Help! Please! BF135 Instrument Wiring

smit1r1rich

I am repowering an old 1988 Suntracker (Now nothing but a fishing boat) with a 135HP Honda 4 stroke. I was told it was a 2017 with very low hours but now I've been told by a Honda dealer that it is a 2005. That being said I have no choice but to go ahead with the repowering as I've built a motor pod and mounted the engine. My question is hooking up gauges. It came with gauges, main harness PN 8110725 with HON32205-ZY6-025AH rev. D under the PN.
I got 2 switch harness's with these numbers on the tag 910000091 and 85251077 and the instrument harness is (or what I'm assuming is instrument harness) 32540-ZV5-9101. Can some Honda guy please help me. I will purchase new Honda gauges but I don't want to throw good money after bad. The gauges I got with the motor do not appear to be Honda gauges! Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard Smith

It is not easy to explain rigging on a Forum like this, but I will give it a try.

This is going to be very basic.

Since your motor is already mounted, the main wiring harness is connected at the engine with a round 14 pin connector and a 6 pin rectangular connector. The other end will have several smaller connectors.

You plug the key switch harness into the end of the main wiring harness (with several connectors) You might end up with a connector or two not used on the main harness. If you are unsure if the connector/plug combination is correct ( just look at the wire colors). They should be the same colors on both the connector and the plug that go together.

I am not familiar with the key switch numbers that you listed, but if you have the key switch and the key switch harness, the key switch has different connectors than the main wiring harness.....so you should not get them mixed up.

As for the gauge wiring harness, you have one that is set up for tachometer and trim with a couple of extra bullet connectors to extend switched voltage to other gauges like voltmeter or any other that needs switch 12v. It was used years ago when the Honda gauges came with bullet type connectors, also. Then they just plug together. I am guessing that you do not have those types of gauges. The one end that has only 4 or 5 bullet connectors, will plug into the switch harness. You just have to match the appropriate colors.

Even though the gauges do not say Honda, they still may be compatible with the Honda. If you can post some pictures of the front and backs of them and part numbers (if possible). If you can not figure out how to post a picture, just post the type of gauge (e.g.trim, tach, etc) along with a part number, if any.

What you need is a wiring diagram that will help you to know what plugs into what. Here is a link to the owner's manual for you 2005 model. At the end of the manual are several wiring diagrams. You will want to check out the one with Panel Mount with Analog Meters. https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/31ZY6602.pdf

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike! I was hoping you would see my post. I read some of your responses to other people and I could tell you knew what you were talking about.

I'm biting the bullet and taking it to a Honda dealer and let them put brand new gauges in it and fire it up for the first time. I sure hope I didn't take a bath on this one but I swear everything about this motor looks very new. We will see, if you hear crying from Ga. it's just me! :D

Back