Logo

For anyone with a VRO having oil or fuel problems

The defense of the VRO system is notable, but it is still a not-so-great design. The pump is great, but it's the delivery system that is the weak spot.

A kink in a hose, a crack in a fitting, or many other small things can cause the oil to not make it from the remote tank to the VRO, and that ends the engine permanently. Yamaha's idea of the main oil tank feeding into a small onboard tank that gravity feeds oil to the engine would solve this problem, but OMC never went that way. Feeding directly from the remote oil tank means that ANY kind of delivery problem, VRO being the cause or not, equals a destroyed engine.

There is a reason OMC commercial engines did not have mixers. Commercial consumers need long term reliability. It's probably true that the VRO system is unfairly vilified, but disabling that system removes one more thing that can destroy the motor.

I agree with what your saying. Nothing is foolproof except mixing your own oil with the gas.....responsibly! The variable ratio is a fine idea, but even those early mixing ratios have been determined improper and since readjusted. I prefer to mix my own fuel/oil and have never destroyed a single outboard in over 40 years, primarily using Amsoil at various ratios depending on motor and operating conditions. I prefer to minimize depending on injection, or other equipment that is likely to stumble or fail in time. I have operated 2 small camps in remote NW Ontario for all these years and have most certainly put these aforementioned practices to the test......Sometimes when lives have been at stake. And no, I don't like antilock brakes either. But hey, this comes from a guy whose everyday work truck is a 1974 Chev, so probably take what I say lightly.1546877336399310.jpg

Last edited:
Really because I would bet that more mtors have been fried from owner negligence than a VRO ever caused. No water pump maintenance,forgetting to mix gas and oil are a couple. The first 3/4 yrs of the VRO were bad designs. After 1988 it was a very good system. I personally have put pics up of a 30 yr old Vro2 pump that still worked. People who actually know about them know its a good system. Take a look at the posts on this website and waterpump failure is the most common problem by far. I run my VRO in all temperatures and don't worry about a thing.

Last edited:
Agree, Mr. Scott, anything is as good as its owner. Your information on VRO's has enlightened me, thanks.

Back