Logo

How bad is the damage on my BF130

mdelfunt

Hey guys, new to this forum. Thanks in advance for your help. Life was good on the lake until this past Sunday when all of a sudden my Honda BF130 (BZBE-1100612) failed. I had stopped it to pick up one of my boys in the water and when I went to restart it, it sounded like the battery was dead and wouldn't crank. Towed it back and pulled the plugs yesterday. Had water in most all of the cylinders - 2&4 were the worst. As I cranked it over, it pressed water out the spark plug ports.

I fear the head is cracked. I've read a little bit over the past 12 hours that some say to discard the engine and spend my time buying another engine (I'm shocked at how much those are) and that I probably won't be able to find parts for it. I haven't done any further teardown on it but wanted to get some advise from the folks on this forum before I took next steps.

Thanks guys, Mark

Chris - you seem pretty firm on replacing it. I've read that there may be some extended warranties on these motors from Honda due to known factory defects & recalls. You obviously live the life of fixing outboards so I would like to hear more from you on this if possible.

Ok, thank you Chris; I respect your view.
For me, I'm trying to understand "the why" before I go and spend thousands to replace as opposed to repair. Should I replace it because I can't get parts any more or is it too expensive to repair, etc.

I have heard not good about the 130's but if it was me, I would pull all plugs and turn over engine to get water out. Spray oil into cylinders, pull dipstick to see if any water has entered oil pan. Depends on how much if any water in pan, but then I'd put plugs on an see if it starts up. I dont have a 130, I have 200's and there are several ways water can intrude into the crankcase, especially thru the black rubber vertical connector that goes from cylinder head into oil pan.

Thanks Skooter. I did just what you suggested yesterday. I spun the engine for a while, cleaned up the plugs, then tried cranking again with no luck. Pulled the plugs again and repeated the process. Water keeps getting on the plugs. There is NO water detectable in the oil. I had just put new oil in the engine a couple days before taking the boat out. So it doesn't appear water is getting into the crankcase but it is getting on top of the pistons.

What year is it and how many hours? Sounds like you could have a bad head gasket...perhaps you over heated the engine and the head warped??? Or could be something like I mention about a bad head gasket. Have you run it much before this episode?

Skooter - I'm not 100% sure of the year. Someone told me (based on SN and Model # that is was a 2000) but the cover has the words "meets 2006 EPA standards" on it. the SN is BZBE-1100612 and model says BF130A. My understanding is that the 130 was produced up to 2006. I could be wrong.

Regarding hours, I forgot to look at the meter yesterday when I left. I've owned the boat for 3 years and its never given a minutes worth of problems. Its never ran hot that I know of. When it broke Sunday, it had been sitting for an hour on the shore while we were all cooling off in the water. We got back in to head home. I started it and drive it 100 yards to pick up one of the boys. Turned it off, then went to start it and thats when it occurred. Just like a switch; one minute it was fine, the next it was dead. It wasn't hot nor shown any signs of it. We thought the battery was dying because it was really hard to turn over. Of course, now I know why... water on top of the piston(s) won't allow it to turnover.

I don't know the internals enough to know whether the symptoms are a head gasket or head. I can tell you that while cranking (and plugs removed) there was no compression on #2&4. I put my finger in the plug hole and nothing. 1&3 had compression. While the plugs are out and while cranking, you can see some mist spraying out of the plug holes - like its still getting water in it. When I put plugs back in, it turns over fine but doesn't start.

Whatever occurred happened in the time I turned the engine off and then back on; odd as that sounds. It was perfect, then dead.

It looks like you will have to pull the head and see what is up. Besides checking the head for cracks, check the cylinders for any scoring that may have occurred due to the intrusion.

Just for your reference, your motor date of purchase was 9/29/2000. It is model BF130AYLA. The warranty for the engine was extended for ten years from the date of purchase in the case of cracks in the block. Unfortunately, you are well past the ten year mark.

Good luck....hoping you find something not to expensive to fix.

Mike

Thanks Hondadude for validating the mfg date. I'm wondering why I didn't buy a pontoon boat with an inboard.... I can't believe how expensive these outboards are for no good reason in my mind!

Hi, I am also having a problem with head gasket coming out on 2003 BF130. It is on the exhaust side of head with no water in the oil, 190 compression on all 4 cylinders, not overheating. Could this just be a head gasket replacement? My engines do not fall with recall numbers. Any ideas what would cause that to happen/ worth doing the repair?

Hi, I am also having a problem with head gasket coming out on 2003 BF130. It is on the exhaust side of head with no water in the oil, 190 compression on all 4 cylinders, not overheating. Could this just be a head gasket replacement? My engines do not fall with recall numbers. Any ideas what would cause that to happen/ worth doing the repair?
What do you mean coming out?

My headgasket sticks out some on the side as well. It stuck out before and it sticks out after. Sticking out ok and being pushed out by pressure from blow gasket not ok.

Back