Logo

1995 Skeeter Fuel Pickup Replacement

jpenley

Hello All,
I picked up my first boat last year, a 1995 Skeeter ZX 190 with a Johnson Fast Strike 175. I have been struggling to correct a problem with the starboard fuel tank pickup and I am looking for suggestions.

Both are poly tanks and are located at the rear of the boat on either side of the battery compartment under the rear deck. Engine runs fine on the Port tank however will not maintain suction from the starboard tank. All of the fuel lines and fittings other than the pickup have been replaced with no improvement. I have the replacement pickup tube however I have three problems.

1. The existing fuel pickup is corroded in place. All attempts thus far to break it loose have been entirely unsuccessful.
2. Top of tank clearance is less than 1" above the fuel fittings, so do not know how I would remove it even if I could get it loose.
3. With the tank straps removed the tank will not move more than an inch or two toward the battery compartment hatch, but not far enough to clear the deck or gain better access to fuel pickup.

I have spoken with two marine mechanics about the fuel pickup and neither seem to be willing to tackle this problem so I am looking for suggestions to DIY. I have a few ideas thus far hopefully someone can provide me with some better solutions.

1. Drill access hole in rear deck to access fuel fittings and hopefully remove the existing fuel pickup or drill top of tank and install a second pickup along side the existing one using a blind bulkhead fitting.
2. I have full access to the side of the tank via the battery compartment and could drill the side of the tank, however I am unsure how to get a fuel pickup down to bottom of the tank.
3. Remove the top cap entirely to gain access to the entire tank. I am much less willing to do this as I have no experience with such things and the risk of getting stuck or further damaging an otherwise usable boat does not sit well with me. Maybe after I get another boat I can turn this into a project boat.

I do not have any pictures at the moment but can get some when I get the boat back from mechanic, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thank You all for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

Jeremy

The initial approach is to call Skeeter and talk with their tech support department - there may be a subassembly that isn't 'easy to see' that may make life easier....either to remove the existing fitting or to R&R the tank for the work.

If that doesn't pan out, you need access to the top of the tank and an inspection port may be adequate to provide the required access. I'd focus on removing the old pickup and installing a new one vs adding another hole in the tank.

The initial approach is to call Skeeter and talk with their tech support department - there may be a subassembly that isn't 'easy to see' that may make life easier....either to remove the existing fitting or to R&R the tank for the work.

If that doesn't pan out, you need access to the top of the tank and an inspection port may be adequate to provide the required access. I'd focus on removing the old pickup and installing a new one vs adding another hole in the tank.

makomark,
Thank you for the reply. I did reach out to Skeeter toward the end of last year via their support channels on their website and forgot doing so, however I never received a response. I will definitely reach out to them again before proceeding, perhaps I can dig up a support phone number.

As for removing the existing pickup, are there any methods of loosening the corrosion that will not risk damaging the structure of the poly tank?

Thats a good one.....from my experience, the fitting on the top of the tube threads into a poly bung on top of the tank so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. If the tube threads into a metal bung/plate setup, you should be able to remove the plate and separate things that way....a picture whould help here...

Thats a good one.....from my experience, the fitting on the top of the tube threads into a poly bung on top of the tank so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. If the tube threads into a metal bung/plate setup, you should be able to remove the plate and separate things that way....a picture whould help here...

May be going to pick boat up from Mechanic tomorrow will get some pictures for you if I do.

Tank has a metal insert, similar to the tank bushing pictured at the following URL.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/Heat/Fuel-Tanks-Fuel-Pick-up-tubes-and-Accessories/SS-WTB_2.html

The existing pickup is threaded into this piece and corroded into place. The nut holding this piece in place would come right off however the pickup and piece would fall into the tank, I am unsure I would be able to get it out given the limited access.

The pickles I find myself in, lol.

Jeremy

Back