Logo

Wrong oil?

Canadianwalleye

Regular Contributor
I was in a rush a grab this type of oil. 95BF9F4B-7A28-4D53-AF05-0822DA5D1192.jpgD3002713-5EAA-44A5-BF24-12123E3A569B.jpg
Wasn’t until after I made this mix that I realized it might not be TC-W3. can I run it with this in it? What’s gonna happen?
Yup, newb mistake.

One dose won't kill it. I guess this is your V-4 cross flow motor we have been talking about? They use to run on TCW-2 & other lubes before that.

yes. Perfect. Thanks. That’s kinda what I wanted to hear hahaha.

I read some very good reports from consumers on the internet about Quicksilver gear case lube so that's what I used in my recently restored 1960 3 H.P. Johnson. At the same time I bought some Quicksilver two cycle engine oil. I've run the little engine for a total of 6 hours in a 20 gallon garbage can to test it out. After six hours of runnig and pulling the plugs (NGK B65) there was absolutely no - zero color on the spark plug porcelain. I could see that there was an oil film on the porcelain but only a-little coloration on the plug on the top cylinder. I should also add that I'm running a 16:1 oil mix. My hunch is that the Quicksilver oil is darn good stuff. I have a-lot of experience with two cycle motorcycle engines and use to purchase only Castrol two cycle oil for my Kawasaki 500 triple. There was absolutely no carbon build up on the Kawasaki when torn down. I think the Quicksilver oil is superior even to the Castrol. Additionally, the Quicksilver oil smokes very little. Just my $0.02.

Bill

STOP !!!
I can't tell for sure from the lousy pics. but I think you have bought gas that is premixed with oil to 50:1. NOT PURE OIL !! This is available in stores for people that can't manage to mix gas and oil. If it is and you dump this in your tank, you will surely fry your engine.

Bigjohnson good catch for sure. That is indeed a can of pre mixed fuel. Cwalleye one dose without a doubt will fry your engine.

Sorry may have jumped the gun on that one... Just never seen a bottle of 2 stroke oil labeled with a mixture ratio.

Last edited:
It is a two stroke engine oil see Kleen Flo product's website

http://www.kleenflo.com/products/501-504.html

It is oil ,not a premixed fuel, and can be used mixed up to 50:1 for small outboards
this is correct. It is a 2 strike oil for SMALL outboards. I put it in a 115hp engine! I went and got a quart of quicksilver as mention by another member. I will add this oil to the fuel already in. I’m sure all that can happen bad wise is lots of smoke (better then a dead motor).

Again. It’s not a premix. It’s a 2 cycle oil for SMALL outboards. Beware!!

this is correct. It is a 2 strike oil for SMALL outboards. I put it in a 115hp engine! I went and got a quart of quicksilver as mention by another member. I will add this oil to the fuel already in. I’m sure all that can happen bad wise is lots of smoke (better then a dead motor).

Again. It’s not a premix. It’s a 2 cycle oil for SMALL outboards. Beware!!

Years ago there was a fellow named Gordon Jennings. He was a writer for auto and motorcycle magazines and knew probably more about two cycle engines than any man on earth. He wrote a book titled "Two Stoke Tuners Handbook" - great read if you're a gear head. Anyway, he said the a two cycle engine will produce it's most power when feed as much fuel and oil as it can effectively digest. I wouldn't worry about excessive oil when you guys are running 50:1 ratios. I run 16:1 in my newly restored Johnson 3 H.P. - I don't care what anyone says. There was a guy on eBay selling a Johnson 3 H.P. and he stated he was running 50:1 in that old plain bearing engine. I wouldn't take that little engine if he gave it to me.

Bill

I read some very good reports from consumers on the internet about Quicksilver gear case lube so that's what I used in my recently restored 1960 3 H.P. Johnson.

I use Evinrude Johnson HI-VIS gear case lube in my restored 1966 3 hp Johnson. The people at Johnson/Evinrude of course say it's the best.

If I owned a Mercury I would probably use Mercury or Quicksilver gear lube in it. The people at Mercury of course say it's the best. Probably not a nickle's worth of difference in all of them.

31_P5v_KHMk8_L.jpg

I use Evinrude Johnson HI-VIS gear case lube in my restored 1966 3 hp Johnson. The people at Johnson/Evinrude of course say it's the best.

If I owned a Mercury I would probably use Mercury or Quicksilver gear lube in it. The people at Mercury of course say it's the best. Probably not a nickle's worth of difference in all of them.

31_P5v_KHMk8_L.jpg

I used to go to the auto parts store to buy spark plugs for my Suzuki or Kawasaki or Triumph - whatever. There usually was one of those "experts" sitting on a stool advising me not to buy Champion plugs for my Jap motorcycle. The gears in your gear case, the pistons and valves in your motorcycle (or car) don't give a damn what spark plug or gear oil you use. I bought Quicksiver because I read on another forum that high performance Quicksilver gear lube was the best and several contributors to that forum chimed-in and agreed. Hell, what do I know. My local supermarket carries it so why not. So far I LOVE Quicksilver two cycle engine oil.

BILL

Last edited:
Back