Logo

Engine oil leak on 1995 Mercury 9.9

malgis

Hello people,

so I'm trying to weed out an engine oil leak from a 9.9 4-stroke Merc (1995 or 1996).

When I put it to the water after couple years of sitting dry and ran a couple of minutes, I've noticed a serious oil trail and pulled it out.

Then started looking into it. It seems that oil was seeping through the holes in the leg - one just above the exhaust and the small plastic covers on the sides. After running the engine it in a bucket for a while, saw drops forming on the valve cover. So replaced the seal there. Then saw the fuel pump plunger side leaking oil. Took it off, and the O-ring was missing. Put it a new one.

Now after that the engine started stalling after 3-4 minutes of running. Checked a bunch of things and found that the small hose going out from the oil / water separator was clogged, so apparently the pressure was building inside the engine and it was causing the stalling. So cleaned that, did a bucket test for 35 minutes and came home all happy. However, when the engine is running, you can feel that there's gas blowing through the breather hole on the outside of the engine (if it matters).

Now after a few days, checked the leg, and sh*t, there's a slight trail of leaking oil again - the same hole in the back of the leg, above the exhaust, and the small plastic covers on the sides of the upper part of the leg. However the oil seems to have appeared only after a few days. Any ideas?

Thanks a million in advance!

So I took the boat to the water and got an impression that after all it was the remaining spilled oil leaking from the powerhead compartment, there was nothing leaking into the water (phew). Hopefully the problem is solved.

Back