Logo

1971 7.5hp Merc

RogerWI

I have a 1971 7.5hp Merc. I can only get it started when it is in gear so that it will throttle past the start position. There is no spark when throttle is in the start or less than start positions. It does not have the Phelon magneto ignition, it has the "other" ignition system. Wires are not frayed, and I disconnected the kill switch and grounded that wire to the block, any suggestions?

Do you have the red module under the flywheel or the sealed stator type module? Pull the ignition coils and clean the grounding pigtail so it makes a solid connection to ground and see if spark improves?

Have you checked the primary pickup adjustment? Make sure the point gap is correct. Then hook a ohm meter to the neg wire for the #1 ignition coil disconnected from the coil. Pull the plugs and stick a screwdriver in the #1 hole and rotate the crank clockwise until it reaches tdc and when it barely starts to go down hold it there. .002 inches after top dead center. Close the throttle all the way and slowly advance the timing to where the points just open. It is at that point the throttle lever should be just touching the throttle cam. Every time you pull the carb the sync must be checked/adjusted. Spec is .002 atdc it makes a huge difference for cold starts and also for the hole shot. The book calls for a dial indicator but if careful a screwdriver or caliper will work. Never turn the flywheel clockwise on these motors or you will need a new impeller.

Back