Logo

More issues with Almost New 250

Cmerc

Contributing Member
So I repowered in Dec 2017 trip 250s
had oxygen sensor issues with all three engines, now this.
starboard engine used to turn 6000+ now struggles to reach 5500
the green ecc light on the tach on that wngine does not come on any more, but the other engines do, this engine also burns 1.5 - 2 gph more than the others, and there is soot just below the exhaust ports, hoping its simply a bad plug or coil pack, because I am doing a sea trial in two days, any thoughts?

I am trying to add a pic but cant get it to work

Last edited:
It could very well be just a bad spark plug. You could do a simple cylinder drop test, by disconnecting the spark coils, one at a time and see if the engine rpms change. If you disconnect one and the rpm's do not reduce, then you have found the troubled cylinder. Then it is just figuring out if it is a spark or fuel issue.

If you do not have a spare spark plug, just switch the plug with another cylinder and see if the trouble follows the plug. You can also do the same for the spark coils.

I really sounds like it is time to call the dealer for a computer diagnosis. I know you are in a time crunch, the most dealers will put a trouble with engines that were sold before a standard customer with a repair issue.

Mike

Not overly worried about the sea trial, first off I still have 18 months of warranty left, and secondly I seriously doubt the potential buyer, (who is also buying mu house in a package deal) would not even realise there was an issue.
he wont be taking posession until September just before the purchase of the house is completed so the issue would be fixed long before then.
I forgot to mention that the engines only just have 80 hours.
one more question, do you know if the ECU is marrid to the engine it is on because it was switched from one of th other engines.
thanks for your input as well.

As far as I can see, there are two different vintages of ECU. I do not know what the difference is other than one is for serial numbers before 1009541 and the other is for serial numbers 1009541 and after.

So, mixing them up may cause some funky results....but I do not know for sure.

One does seem to supercede to the other.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, these are my serial numbers, not sure how to interpret them, but I do know that the ECU from the long shaft (center) engine was switched to the counter rotating engine (starboard) and coincidentally they both burn more than the port engine although the center seems to burn about 1 gallon per hour more than the port engine while the starboard burns 1.5 to 2 gallons more per hour than the port, which still has the original ECU. Hopethat makes sense.

HONDA 250 XA 1 Serial#BBJJ-1002910

HONDA 250 XCA 1 Serial#BBJJ-8000141
HONDA 250 XXA 1 Serial#BBJJ-1003739

Back