Logo

1987 Sea Ray Seville Steering issue

Jeffwb2u

I have a 1987 Sea Ray Seville, and the steering cable is completely frozen. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try to break the cable free and to get the steering working again? I have the cable disconnected from the power steering ram and I have it removed from the rack assembly as well. But the cable is stuck in about the midway position, and I can't move it either direction.

Any ideas?

Any help will be appreciated.

Replace it....even if you do succeed without damaging it, the crud inside will cause the same thing in a short period of time.....

Replace it....even if you do succeed without damaging it, the crud inside will cause the same thing in a short period of time.....

I am having problem sourcing parts for this. The original cable is 13' 6" as marked on the cable, and I have been able to find 13' or 14' replacements, but nothing in between. Can I use a 14' cable and just add the extra 6" of length on the console side?

Also, I cannot remove the old cable from the boat as it is stuck near the midway position and that make the ends of the cable too long to make the turn at the transom. So my options to get the old one out is to either break the cable loose, break the cable internally, or cut the cable with a hack saw. I am reluctant to do that until I have a replacement part in hand that I know will work.

There is a grease fitting on the cable, so it may be possible that I can force PB Blaster into the cable, but I will have to figure out some way to push it in there. Maybe I can build a small canister that I can attach to my air hose that I can screw into the grease fitting hole. Have to give that some thought.

14' would be fine, excess at the helm. Cutting cable is not going to be easy, Tie a strong wire or cord to opposite end of old cable for installing,pulling new cable through

I'd suggest following the cable maker's guide for measuring for the cable length.....Its possible what is in there is optimal - never hurts to verify...

Back