Logo

Points allignment

Sam110

Regular Contributor
Installed new points and one set is severely misaligned. Is there a means of correcting this condition? Will this misalignment result in poor ignition? Should this set be replaced?

Attachments

• ASCN0035.jpg
    ASCN0035.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 65
How is it misaligned? The quality of points has gone down in the past few yrs. Are those aftermarket or factory points.

Last edited:
Can't really see the problem in the picture. If necessary, the moving arm can be bent upward or downward a tad. However, the electricity doesn't really care, as long as they make and break. But longevity does. So it only lasts two years instead of three.

Clean the points and feeler guage with acetone set the points and go fishing you can change them next year if necessary.
Best investment you could ever make- and its only 50-200$ is a used powerhead with solid state ignition. I dont know what HP your motor is but many of the lower units are the same- so you can sometimes get a bigger motor out of the deal. Just a thought.

It looks like this motor may have the infamous low tension magneto.----Mtsaz, what powerhead would you suggest with electronic ignition as a replacerment ?

And those breaker points were different than the universal magneto.-----Sam, are you sure you have the correct points in there ?----Part # is 581207 ?

172523 is the "Tune up kit" part number here on site same as given by the vender I got them from on Ebay, but they are "EMP" parts not "BRP". Listing here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tune-up-ki...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Vendors description for what they fit 1962 -73 18 hp.

Racer you say 581207? I don't see that listed for this motor of mine 18304A.

"Low Tension" Magneto? Mine has a "driver" coil and two exterior Ignition coils. Is that what your meaning?

Last edited:
There may have been a mid year change on those ignitions.----Post a picture of the complete magneto plate.----Does it have 2 ignition coils under the flywheel ?---Or one driver coil and 2 ignition coils mounted externally ?

It has a driver coil and two external ignition coils. This pic is the only pic I have showing the whole magneto, it's a "before" shot when I started the work. I don't have one of the "after" other than the one at the start of this posting. Flywheels on and torqued back down so . . .

Attachments

• DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back