Logo

78 115hp Evinrude float setting?

Canadianwalleye

Regular Contributor
I am cleaning out my carbs becuase the unit is bogging and stalling st a low idle. I’m thinking it will be the low speed orifices as I didn’t touch them the last time becuase they were too tight and didn’t want to strip the bolt any more then it already is... my question is what are the specs for the float on these carbs? The original float was on a slight angle with the back (pin side) lower by a few millimeters while the front was higher by s few millimeters. I readjusted them to be level with the housing. Is this correct? When I turn it upside down from there what shouldnthe float fall???
With the float being level with the housing, how does the unit keep level when planning the boat and such?
Original reason I took the carb apart was becuase it was choking copious amounts of fuel out the front into the air silencer and would not stay running. Started ok but would stall shortly after. My thoughts were dirty carb which I’m pretty sure I was correct as I found a peace of rubber under the float pin seat... thanks for helping!

With the carb upside down set the float to level. If you cant get the low speed orifices out soak the carb in a good clean and blow out with compressed air.

Yes. I’ve set the float to level when it’s upside down but seen a few other motors that need a specific drop when right side up Does my floats need this adjustement also? If I set them to level while the carb is upside down, how does that work when in water and taking off and planning? Wouldn’t the liquid have a slope thus making the level adjustement null and voided?

My floats drop to the floor... is that bad? I measured the pan space and it says roughly 20mills. What the reasoning for float drop specs? Where in the factory service manual can I find the specs?

Ok. I gaurantee I don’t have the right manual hahaha. I’ve read this thing 4 times over. The fuel section I’ve read like 20 times cause that’s the problems I’m havin at the moment hahaha. Does anyone know the drop specs for the floats??? If the pan is 20mills. Can I just go 17-18 or will that screw it up? I’m pretty sure the float needles is falling out of the housing unless 20mills when the cap is on is enough... wish I new the specs!! Ahahahaha

Back