Logo

Power problems with 1977 85hp Johnson

Herbey

I have a 1977 85hp Johnson outboard motor that will be running along at full power then for no apparent reason cuts back to approx half power. Sometimes it's got full power sometimes not. It seems to be either full or half. It doesn't slowly lose power. I'm not sure though if I should say it's losing power or RPMs. Any experience like this out there?

Have you test run with cowling off the motor ?---Test run with another tank and hose ?----If it is cutting back to half power it surely is loosing RPM !

Have you test run with cowling off the motor ?---Test run with another tank and hose ?----If it is cutting back to half power it surely is loosing RPM !
Yes it is losing rpms but what is causing it? If it is a leaking or obstructed gas line why would it always be the same power? It should be acting starved for gas and losing power in an irregular way. When it cuts back in power it holds there instead of slowly powering out. It will hold for maybe 10 minutes like that and then it might suddenly find it's power again for 5 minutes.

Back