Logo

Is this mistake fixable??

Canadianwalleye

Regular Contributor
I was cleaning my carb and reinstalling it. I got it all installed and started putting on the air silencer and cover when I torqued it too hard and broke the carb!!! Can I jbweld it? Can I heat and sodder it? $500 for a new carb...ugh

Attachments

• C3434905-66C1-49E3-BE73-26CDE8EE0218.jpg
    C3434905-66C1-49E3-BE73-26CDE8EE0218.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 64
Well about anything can be fixed. I take it this is a V-4? Looks like a two barrel carb? The key will be getting it repaired & perfectly flat across the back so you don't put any strain on it when you mount it back up. Of course they don't have to be that tight.
Late model V-4/V-6 used screws instead of studs. Something you might consider.

Yes it’s a v4. Yes it’s a tandem two barrel. This one is the top of the two. How would you go about fixing it? This is a 78 115hp Evinrude... what should I do? Would jbweld work? Sauder?

If you want to try to fix it, I would say bolt it to something flat to keep it straight, then either your JB or Marine Tex. Can't hurt to try.

I wonder how you managed to break it anyhow. But that's another story.

Well seems like I might have to do something now as the entire bolt houseing came off the carb ahhahaha. Wow. Smh. Worst luck ever! Think I could still use the carb??

Yes it’s a v4. Yes it’s a tandem two barrel. This one is the top of the two. How would you go about fixing it? This is a 78 115hp Evinrude... what should I do? Would jbweld work? Sauder?

I recently used JB Weld on the stripped crankcase oil drain plug on my Kawasaki motorcycle and it's holding-up fine. Just be sure to clean the metal thoroughly with lacquer thinner and a disposable brush - an old toothbrush might do also. Let the JB Weld cure completely!!!!!

Bill

From what I can see in the pic, the gasket looks like it got crushed, and appears to be the root of the problem.
JB weld would work fine in a situation where there is surrounding metal that is still intact, but that is not the case here.
If it were me, I would dismantle the carb completely and either aluminum solder that ear back on (bolted to a flat surface as the other fellow here mentioned), or perhaps take it to a propeller repair shop. They do aluminum welding, and might be able to fix that.

CarMech1969

Update. I caved and got a new/used too carb to replace this one. The entire thing broke off so I said f it. I still have the broken carb which runs perfect but needs the weld done. I’ll look into how much this will cost or how hard it is to old myself. Thanks for the input guys. It really made my decision a lot easier. Also thank you too the members who gave me the link too the eBay page for the used carb!! I got that one. Thank you.

Back