Logo

New 20 hp fi Tahatsu idle speed

nytebyte

Regular Contributor
Is there a way to set down the idle on the fuel injected 20 hp Tahatsu? I backed out what appeared to be the idle adjustment but it didnt lower the speed. Maybe need to adjust the cable a bit to? Any help apriciated! I have a tiny tack on it and idle is around 980 and should be at 900. Would like it to troll down a bit more if possible. Thanks,Jim

Assuming you have an MFS20E. Check for idle speed of 950. The ECU and ISC should set that. You are under warranty. What does your dealer say? You could install a different prop to go slower. Less pitch.

Last edited:
It is the MFS20E. No dealer in my area for a Tahatsu. I saw what looked to be the idle adjustment screw on it and that doesn't do it. I have a Tiny tac on it and that is the idle speed-940 to 950. Was hoping to lower that a bit down to 900 or so without to much trouble. I take it that's not so easy with fi?

It's controlled by the ECU and ISC. 950. Period. If you want to troll slower, you will need less prop pitch, but don't go too far, or you may over-rev when you run WOT. Where did you buy the motor? What is your ZIP code?

58701 zip code and from a online dealer. I like the Tahatsu so far. My 20 mariner didn't go as slow as I would have liked either but that I could lower the idle speed. Not a big problem because I have a bow mount electric for the real slow troll and can still use the Tahatsu against the wind. As far as dealers around here there are none and for the price I got this motor even if there was I would have paid full retail-Oil country you know. Thing is we all don't work in the oil industry but our business owners think we do LOL. I did set what I thought was the idle adjustment back to where it was when I saw it wasn't going to work so hope all is ok with it
. Thanks for the info, JIM

Yeah, look like you are kinda remote. I would return the stop screw for the ISC to where it was set, and go from there.

Right now it will slow to 2.4 mph with a top speed of 23 mph. Is there a prop that you could suggest that would slow it down to around 1.5? What would I lose on the top speed? Prop that is on it is the one that came with it-a 10 pitch.

Propa are available from 6.9 pitch through 13. You likely have a 9. BUT if you go too low (say the 6.9), you run the risk of over-revving at WOT, so beware NOT to run too fast. The ESG will kick in, and the ignition will stagger, indicating that you are running above 6000 RPM.

Iceman748, You need to start your own thread,you will get more responses, Top of home page,dark blue line click on help icon

Hello new 20hp owner. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 20hp myself. I've had most of the other major brands in larger motors but now I need a small OB for my twelve footer. Looking for new only and like the price of the Tohatsu. Whenever I shop for something new I always check the forums and see what goes wrong and how others feel about the product. Since these FI models are fairly new I was wondering what you think? I'm in N. Florida so I plan on using almost all year round. Thanks for any and all input.

Great to hear. Thanks for the reply. I'm about half way through all the post. Nice reading. Looks like Paul is a great resource. We didn't have someone like him on the Honda Scooter Forum. Wish we did.

Great to hear. Thanks for the reply. I'm about half way through all the post. Nice reading. Looks like Paul is a great resource. We didn't have someone like him on the Honda Scooter Forum. Wish we did.

Happy to help. We are all in this together; It's a world of friends helping friends.

Back