Logo

1982 Mercury 50 4 cylinder won’t start at idle

Lostman

Very brief background on the engine. Just purchased not running, replaced stator and rectifier, the trigger and brain look brand new and have a date stampd on them from 2015. Now it has spark that will jump over 1/2”. Compressions are all at 120 +/- 2 psi. Engine cranks easily with a new battery but will not start. Cleaned carbs, tank and installed fresh gas/oil and inline filter. Lync on butterflies in carbs looks good.
Will start if I disconnect the throttle cable and open throttles to about 1/3-1/2 or so, but then will not stay in unning if I close throttle towards an idle. However will run as long as I want with throttle open more than about 1/3.
Can not find how to set idle timing aywhere online.
Open to any suggestions, I don’t have the money to spend $105 per hour at the local shop.

Any help is appreciated!

This engine doesn’t have a key on the flywheel, in fact you can orient it any of eight different ways since it literally bolts on with an 8 bolt symetrical pattern. Choke is working. When I start it I am actually choking it manually since I have the part that has th choke solenoid on it swung out of the way to adjust the carb and watch what is going on.

It does have a flywheel key I believe !.----And when you take out those 8 bolts how do you check to make sure it is back on in the exact same position !

You can’t unless you mark it before removing th flywheel. The flywheel itself has no key that I have found. In fact I had to find tdc on the compression stroke and move it when I first got it because it was oriented incorrectly. If there is one I would like to know where it is.

There is one !!--------It is on the crankshaft taper.-----It locates the hub of the multi-piece flywheel.-----It determines the timing on your motor.-----The proper way to remove the flywheel is to take off the nut and remove the flywheel as one assembly !----Item #2 ---Part # 28-20094----Found right here on this site.

Last edited:
There is one !!--------It is on the crankshaft taper.-----It locates the hub of the multi-piece flywheel.-----It determines the timing on your motor.-----The proper way to remove the flywheel is to take off the nut and remove the flywheel as one assembly !----Item #2 ---Part # 28-20094----Found right here on this site.

That may be correct but the previous owner didn't do that and I had to orient everything back as close as I could to TDC. Now that it was done how do I get it starting again at idle?

Anyone else think that the Seloc manual is too vague due to being written for multiple engines? I read throught the entire part on timing and there is nothing to help with my issue.

Scanned  (2).jpgHope that works. It didn't work. This is page 2. If not, you will have to flip it when you edit. I have tried to repost and it will not let me.

Last edited:
Back