Logo

evinrude 40053A big twin 40 hp generator??????

markski82

hi everyone i have a couple questions

i bought a 29 foot pontoon boat a few weeks ago its a 1969 and it came with a 1969 chrysler 55 hp and a 1970 evinrude 40hp.

my question is can i retro fit the generator, bracket and wiring on my motor because it doesn't have one on it, the pully for the belt is there and it has the pull start mounted on top of the motor.

im just curious if I can do that because if the motor wont charge the batteries, im a heavy equipment mechanic so common sense tells me no generator no charge and that is going to be a pain in the butt having to put a trickle charger on the boat after every time I go out fishing, I don't know much about those older motor the last outboard I had was a early 2000s Johnson and I didn't have to worry about this type of stuff

any feed back will help me a ton thank you in advance

If you can find all the parts it can be done. Or else they make Solar Panel battery chargers for boats which is another option.

The generator only puts out 10 amps barely enough to keep up with a fish finder especially when trolling. Thats 10 amps at WOT it will recharge the battery when running from spot to spot the engine uses about 4 gallons per hour at high speeds you can do the math. You will need the generator, regulator and brackets. Wiring is fairly simple i added one to my 1961 lark III basically the same motor. If you can find a 60s electric shift 40hp it should have what you need. That design needed the generator to hold it in gear if the battery went dead it defaulted to neutral. Later model electric shift defaulted to forward gear the ignition is independent you could motor with a dead battery. Is it electric start? If its a pull start the battery is only needed for appliances in all likelyhood you would still need to charge the battery between uses with a generator anyways. You decide if its cost effective a good deep cycle battery you can get a few trips between charges. Just do a slow charge to extend battery service life.

Back