Logo

2003 Evinrude 225 e225fpxstm shift issue

fpritchard

Hello all. I currently bought a 89 seafarer22 with a 2003 evinrude ficht 225 direct injection. The boat hasn’t been ran in over 2 years. Replaced all wiring, gauges, etc. changed all filters, spark plugs and emptied the fuel tank of about 80 gallons of gas. Changed the water pump. Had a hard time getting the shift rod back into place but managed to square that away also. Took a while for the engine to start but when it did it seemed to run perfectly. Idles at around 600 and sounded strong. Went from neutral to forward with no problem at all and then back to neutral a few times. As soon as I try to put it in reverse from neutral the engine stops running. Doesn’t matter if I try to engage reverse fast or ease it in. Stalls every time. Some research suggests i may have inadvertently changed the shift rod height when reinstalling lower unit after water pump change. I was also getting a check engine light when started that persisted upon each restart. Could the two issues be related? The resource i found stated that the shift rod height should be 26 - 29/32. Can anyone confirm that measurement. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Pull lower unit off and check measurement,The rod can be turned c/w or cc/w. The measurement is to the center of hole in the top of the rod to the housing suface

Thank you for the reply. Can you confirm what the height should be from the bottom of the housing to the center of the hole? 25” shaft. Looks like the correct height for my engine is 26 29/32”.

Just wanted to take a min to thank you for the help. Seems the correct shift rod adjustment did the trick. For my motor the correct measurement is 26 29/32. No shift problems and no check engine warning. Purrs like a kitten.

Back