Logo

OMC King Cobra won’t pull when accelerating

jsledd45

I have recently bought a 1991 Four Winn’s Sundowner 225 with a King Cobra Daddy King outdrive. The only issue the previous owner mentioned was cracked blocked which I replaced. We took it out last weekend for the first time. The boat shifted great. As I started to throttle with my trim down it would take off for a few seconds and then the motor would over rev and lose bite. I tried it again but this time easing into throttle, same thing. I figured the prop was stripped. I could idel around just fine.

I went to load it up on the trailer, had to get on the throttle, not issues. We got home and I put the boat in gear and tried to turn the prop. The prop never slipped and I turned the engine over instead. Could this still be a prop or could it be something else.

The boat and prop is clean so I ruled out cavitation. I have a stainless steel 14.25x20 pitch prop. I’m not sure if it’s the right size either.

Ayuh,..... Sounds like 1 of 2 possibilities,..... A Stripped prop hub, or a stripped motor coupler,....

The hub is pressed in and no part number. The hub shows some wear, but I don’t understand why it didn’t slip when I tried turning it by hand, instead the motor turned.

Last edited:
Pretty common the engine has tons more torque than your hands. Can you get a known good prop to do a test run? It is not a bad idea to keep a spare with tools on the boat for emergency.

Back