Logo

89 OMC Cobra Outdrive Question

bmsuper

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Just bought a 1989 Bayliner 2159 with a GM 4 cyl. inboard with an OMC cobra outdrive. The boat is in really good shape as the previous owner really kept it up. However I see that on the starboard side of the outdrive there is some kind of bolt or nut about half way up the outdrive. I have heard this bolt called the "never remove" bolt.

Well, I guess the previous owner tried to get this bolt off and couldn't remove it all the way but did loosen it. So not being able to tighten it he gobbed it up with silicone. Now I have been using the boat and keep it on it's trailer. When I take it out of the water if you press on the silicone covering this loosend bolt a little water oozes out of it, no oil.

My question is this: does this bolt go into the chamber that holds the outdrive oil? I check the outdrive oil almost every time I use the boat and it seems clear and clean. It is not milky like you would think oil would be with water in it.

Eventually I will pull the outdrive to service it and try to tighten up whatever that bolt is but am I risking trashing the outdrive using it as is.

Bob F.

I think that screw has something to do with the shift linkage, I would purchase a shop manual if you are going to do your own maintenance

no, it does not go into the oil reservoir. go to youtube and search, omc never remove bolt ...you can read about what it does.

Back