Logo

1990 Yamaha 200hp outboard no power to key or guages

proline 34

To recap, I had a bad switch on my controller for the stbd side tilt/trim. I ran two new wires from helm controller (from blue green at helm to blue green on engine) to tilt motor wires on engine and now tilt motor works fine. Stbd engine ran fine a week ago, but now when I turn key at helm, there is nothing. Fuel gauge does not move, tach does not light, and alarm does not sound. Port engine works fine. I thought it might be ignition switch, so I swapped the stbd ignition switch for the port and the port still started up fine with nothing on stbd side.

I checked the fuses and the fuses are fine. I checked continuity and power through the fuses and all good. I have power from battery to bolts on starter. still nothing on starter. still nothing.

In addition, under helm panel with gauges (tachs and fuel) Found a double female pigtail (double green wire) coming out of starboard tach with no male plug anywhere. Cannot find an unassigned male anywhere. Could this have anything to do with this?

I'm at a loss. I checked all wires and they are all connected, i checked all harnesses.

Any ideas what I may be missing?

Did you check the fuse on the motor, if you look on the port side of the engine just back of the bottom carb there should be an inline fuse. Otherwise follow the red and check for power feed to your ignition switch. Green is your tacho signal and yellow should be power out of the ignition switch to gauges etc.

Back