Logo

1998 Johnson J25elece outboard stalls when idle and in neutral

ryandavisl

Having issues with my 1998 Johnson J25 elece. It will start up first or second try with fast idle lever up a little, then i let it warm up with fast idle lever up, when i run the motor WOT it runs perfect but anytime we try and go slow or always when i put it in neutral it stalls out.
Every once in a while it will stall out when i start the motor after trolling for an hour or so, it will start right up as i give it throttle it takes off then bogs down and stalls.

Engine was recently completely rebuilt from top to bottom (6-months ago). Any ideas what could be causing this?

1998 Johnson 25 hp 2-stroke- model- J25 elece- remote operated.

thanks in advance for any advice.
Ryan

Thanks, I'll check into that.

It was doing the same thing before and I brought it back to the mechanic and he had to reset timing and adjust carb. Then i took it out and it ran perfect for 30 minutes and then the overheat alarm started going off, brought it back to mechanic and he thinks i need a new control box because he said it is sending a false alarm so he unplugged the overheat alarm. Next trip out the boat started stalling in neutral and at low idle.

Do you think this could be part of the issue?

A local mechanic rebuilt it. he unplugged the over heat alarm because he said it was a false alarm, the engine can be cold and you just turn the key and the alarm goes off, the horn is just stuck on. When the alarm first went off he had me bring the boat straight back to him and he did check compression and for a short in the wire and that is when he determined it needed a new remote control. This all started after my 20 hour break in i believe after he torqued the head bolts again.

I am away from my boat for 2-weeks, I work in a different state than I live. I will do the compression test when i get back home and post results back on here.

That's what i don't know Racer.
This is my first boat, got it mainly for my 11 year old son who loves fishing. Didn't have much $ bought the boat and it broke first trip out, spent $1200 to rebuild it and still having issues. I did purchase a manual for the engine but i am not very mechanically inclined. Trying to search online people who may have same issues to troubleshoot myself.

Hoping someone on here can give me good advice, and maybe it's something simple enough I can troubleshoot with the manual and do myself. I will post what the compression test shows on both cylinders

Thanks again and any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Back