Logo

No water !!

My3girls

Hi, I have a mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 1998 4.3 vortex . When I put the muffs on I am not getting water to come up from outdrive through engine and back out !! I replaced impeller with quicksilver / mercruiser kit, everything included in kit, still no water, replaced circulating pump on front of motor, still no water, replaced thermostat, still no water, replaced water tube between upper & lower section of outdrive, still no water !! When i pull hoses off thermostat and ran garden hose through hoses (engine not running) water comes out as it should, so nothing is blocked !! HELP !!!!

You might not have a good enough connection with the muffs. Don't laugh. I recall trying to get water out of a 70 hp OMC with muffs. Gave up and stuck the LU in a bucket. Pumped like a champ.

Try duct taping the muffs to the LU. Use lots of Gorilla tape and see if that works.

Jeff

Thanks for the quick response !! Muffs are making a good seal on LU , they have a metal rod going through so the connection is tight and they don't move. I put outdrive in a bucket and still no water !!

Then remove the drive and try to turn the input shaft. You should feel resistance. If not you forgot the keyway
I put outdrive in a bucket and still no water !!

Dosent work that way ,you must use a hose connected to a water supply. The pump dosent suck, it pushes water

It strange, I took off hoses from thermostat that go to bottom of manifold & risers, ran water through them, water comes out exit ports on sides of outdrive as it should, did the same to hose that comes from thermostat housing then goes to power steering cooler then goes out to outdrive, water comes out of inlet holes on skeg, so that tells me nothing is blocked, but after I did that I put muffs back on turned on hose started motor and it worked !! It's almost like I had to prime it with water in the hoses and outdrive, I'm thinking its sucking air somewhere, but were !!!

Back