Logo

89 Evinrude 25 Water Problem

DustinT

The engine appears to run strong but no water was coming out of the tail tell.

1. I replaced the water pump and confirmed it is pumping via a drill with and the lower unit submerged in a drum.

2. I also removed the thermostat and cover. I used a water hose to send water up to the engine with plenty of water flow out of the tail tell and thermostat port with the engine off.

3. With the lower unit on the engine and submerged in a drum over the water pump level, I see exhaust smoke come from the thermostat and tail tell ports but no water when the engine is running.

Question:

1. Does anybody know what the problem is?
2. Is it possible that the internal exhaust is causing enough pressure in the water passages to not allow the water to get all the way to the engine?

I used a mirror and flashlight to confirm it is in line until the gap prevents view and the two halves go together easily so i think so. Is there another way to see in there to confirm it?

The tube is stuck in the mid section and a direct water hose to the tube delivers water with the engine off. I haven't tried with the engine running but my hose water pressure is much higher than water pump pressure so I don't think it would be a reasonable test.

Thanks for the question and help so far.

You need to remove the gearbox and do it again and pay blose attention to the water tube. Did you replace the rubber grommet in the impeller housing?

I replaced the entire water pump housing, impeller, etc with no left over parts. I even replaced the spacer that goes over the drive shaft because the old ones o ring lands were mostly gone.

Question:
The only two things in the engine that could cause enough pressure in the water passages to not allow the water to reach the engine
1. Would be bad head gasket (no real evidence of that)
2. Exhaust manifold problem of some kind?
Or
Am I just barking up the wrong tree.

Hhmmm. I've had the lower unit off and on 4 or 5 times trouble shooting the issue.

With a non self priming water pump. Should a water boot still supply adequate water supply or does it have to be submerged up to the pump?

Ding ding ding... We have a winner. First of all thank you for so much help on this issue.

Thank you kimcrwbr1. You were right about not having the brass tube in the top of the pump.

While removing my test tube from the brass puckup tube it came all the way out of the mid section, I didn't know it could do that. While it was out I noticed that it had a couple of so slight waves in it. I straightened it out and could clearly see it at the top of the water pump this time. I put it all back together and got an amazing stream of water out of the tell tale.

Fist boat ive worked on. I now have a grasp of the cooling system and can remove replace the water pump and thermostat on a 89 Evinrude 25.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks johnnygjr. I am so relieved that it was not something serious. I have not owned a boat in a very long time and was taking a gamble on this one. I cant hardly wait to get it on the water in the next couple of weeks.

I learned a lot just from this one issue.

Back