Logo

Ditch the water pump?

OhYou_

I've got what I believe to be a 71 stringer, and I'm rebuilding it as cheap as I can. I'm repowering it with a different engine and I plan on cooling it with a normal radiator and electric fans. I will also route the exhaust up with some form of a stack and mufflers.

Can I omit the water pump in the outdrive and block off the water intake? Or is the water used for something else besides cooling exhaust and engine.

Thanks.

I'm going to be using a Mercedes 3.0L i5 turbodiesel, it shouldn't be too hard to cool with enough fans for Airflow, and I'll be using a much larger radiator in place of the original one with the car.
But if it becomes a problem, I'll consider a water to water radiator and use an electric pump for the seawater.

And have you observed that there are water jackets on both side of the upper gear box to cool the oil , yes or no ?

What you are proposing to do is not only foolish, but it will most likely cost you more in repairs in the future !
You may be very skilled, and you may be a very good mechanic, however the simple fact that you are wanting to eliminate the see water cooling indicates that you are not experienced in the Marine world .

Do it correctly… Do it once… And go boating safely!

And have you observed that there are water jackets on both side of the upper gear box to cool the oil , yes or no ?

No, I have the upper all apart, but haven't really looked at it too hard. I figured it was just how they got the water up through it.
If it really needs cooling, I'll do it, but I just figured the less seawater flowing through it, the less corrosion.

Be sure to keep us informed with progress / setbacks on this project.----Nothing ventured means nothing gained.----Wishing you much success with it.

OK fine, Yall win, I'll get a heat exchanger. Once I can afford it though.
I just figured that generators and field water pumps did alright sitting in one spot with their radiator and fan, so why wouldn't they in a boat. But I guess it's just going to be loud and hot all the time.

Be sure to keep us informed with progress / setbacks on this project.----Nothing ventured means nothing gained.----Wishing you much success with it.
I'll try to, I should get the engine mounted to the outdrive bellhousing this weekend.

Have to ask you how much hp it takes to move a pickup truck at 60 mph on a level road.----And how much power is required to move your boat at 40 mph on the river ?

Back