Logo

Honda BF225 2004

rundbladg

Hello,

Having some issues with my starboard engine, port engine is fine. Both engines have less than 500 hours, boat ( 1991 boston whaler offshore 27) was shipped between Florida and Michigan for ten years. The boat is my grandfathers and is now to old to enjoy it. I recently took up fishing two years ago.

last year had the famous "creating oil" problem occurred with the starboard side. I found almost a gallons worth of extra oil when completing a oil change and knew there was a problem. replaced all the head gaskets, and spark plug seals because we found unburned gas in the spark plug housing. Compression tests were in the normal range. All new spark plugs, fuel filters and impellers. checked oil periodically and everything seemed fine. That side engines spitter was never as strong as the port FYI.

Upon taking boat out this season, the starboard oil was very milky. I was told that it could be condensation and to perform a double oil change to get as much of the milky oil out. after the second oil change and running it for 10 hours the oil was still milky. Dropped off the boat almost two weeks ago and have still yet heard back from the shop(certified Honda repair).

Can condensation cause the oil to change as milky as the pictures attached?

Three pictures:
1. starbaord side
2. port side
3. starboard after second oil change.

Any help or leads would be great.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1644.JPG.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1645.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1645.JPG.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 32
It could be the engine mount cover plate corrode which let small amounts of water from slash enter the sump, that is very possible on a twin engine installation where there is excessive spray around the motors. The dealer will no doubt start by removing the power head and inspecting the oil pan and hopefully mount cover plate for corrosion.

Thats a good point! She does spray a lot.. especially with the bow down tabs. I keep going back to wondering why I'm only have problems with the starboard engine and not the port also..

I'm pretty sure that the engines have not had service bulletin #56 performed on them... I've read that this could be a cause of water getting into the cylinders. Besides performing this and checking/changing the t-stats, the water jacket gaskets could be corroded. Apparently the earlier models are known for corrosion..

The walleye bite is going stronger than ever in Michigan right now.. GO FIGURE.

I sent Honda SB #56 to you this morning by e-mail. It is unlikely that the issue with water getting into the exhaust tubes and possibly one or both of your lower cylinders would cause the problem you are describing. If water was getting into the cylinders, you would have a notable performance problem.

As I pointed out in the e-mail, that water tube and sealing grommet that goes up through the oil pan is a good place to have a close look. I don't think you need to remove the power head to inspect that or replace the grommet - not entirely sure of that. So, if it's determined that that grommet is the problem, it will save you considerable labor charges for removing the power head.

BTW - if you are going to dig that deep into the engine, go ahead and replace the exhaust tubes and related parts as described in SB #56, if you determine that you still have the originally designed tubes. The kit is only a bit over $100 on boats.net, plus you will need a few other parts as described on the last page of that bulletin.

Bill,

Thank you again for being so helpful.. I forwarded your email to the Honda dealer i'm working with.. Still have not heard back from the shop.. Last time speaking with them was Monday. Yesterday, i was on that side of town and drove by the marina and did not see the boat in the water which hopefully means they're working on it!

So happy to have found this thread! I’m literally having the same exact problem on my 2003 BF225.....starboard engine..... check out what I posted earlier on the hull truth. Going to copy and paste it below. Chawk- could you send me same info? Just hearing about this sb56, don’t know where to find it though. My issue happened after a very, very long and rough day on the water.....

Hey everybody. Been on here for awhile reading responses and have found everything very helpful. At the point where I'm really at a standstill with my twin 2003 Honda BF225's.

Long story short: Engines have 350 hours on them, 30 of which are mine since I got the boat in March. Prior to purchasing the boat, I put approximately 9k worth of work into these engines to get them tuned up as they had been sitting for awhile. All new fuel filters, spark plugs, VST float, HP and LP fuel pumps...the whole shabang.

Two issues that I'm having now on my starboard engine after 30 hours of operation are making me think I got a real lemon.

1. 2 weeks ago I couldn't get my starboard engine started while out on the water. Re-primed it a bit, gave it some gas, and then was able to motor all the way home (35 miles out) without a problem. Very rough seas that day. The following week, I can't get it to start. Cuts out in idle after 30 seconds of operation. Checked all the fuel lines....no water in the system or filters until I got to the VST and HP fuel filter. Fuel water seperators all ok, too. HP fuel filter was literally collapsed and waterlogged. Thought for sure I had it (keep in mind, port engine filters and everything look great on other engine). Changed the filter and had the same problems so decided it was time to take it into a mechanic....

Getting a new bill now for 7.5k to change out both my VSTs and all pumps and sparkplugs. New mechanic claims previous one didn't change any of the stuff, which I can partially believe because I looked at the parts that came out of my engine. Debating filing a lawsuit on first guy who claimed to have changed all the stuff....ugh...

2. Anyway, so the bigger problem is that I was told I had 2-3 gallons of water mixed into the oil in the crankcase on the starboard engine (same one that stalled out) by the second mechanic. So apparently I'm "making oil" as well on this engine. Leak down test was fine. Compression still checks out good on engine.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is it time to repower? Worth getting a new block?

Thanks. I have a ton of pictures and videos as well.

SB56 issues will not result in excessive water mixing with the oil. The top engine mounts are covered by an aluminum plate of which I have seen quite a few rot out. What happens when you're in heavy seas is a lot of water gets into the top mount housing and when the cover plate is corroded it allows water to enter and mix with the oil returning to the sump. To check this the power head needs to be removed and the top engine mount cover plate removed to inspect plate and rubber sealing ring.

Update: its been over 5 weeks and this "certified Honda dealer" claims they have no clue whats wrong with my engine... Compression test came back positive, leak down test came back positive, lower leak down test came back positive... They claim to figure out whats wrong with the engine they would have to take it apart.... WELL ITS BEEN 5 weeks WHY HAVEN'T YOU???? Apparently these guys have called honda twice, other dealers and have no solution to the problem...

Obviously the water is getting into the oil somehow... My grandpa believes the head gaskets should be replaced.. I think that the thermostats should be replaced also, but if both are done at the same time we wont know which one fixed the problem, "Grandpas old logic thinking" ... He's right...

There are so many places that water could penetrate the oil in these outboard systems its truly hard to properly diagnosis the issue without taking the engine apart completely and rebuilding.. $40,000 for new Hondas.. $50,000 for new Yahmahas/mercs with new instruments..

and OF COURSE... the fishing in last 5 weeks on Lake St.Clair, Michigan has been UNREAL... the depression is real :(

Last edited:
Have they removed the power head and checked the alluminium plate that covers the top engine mounts, they corrode and you can't see this unless you physically take it off.I have had two motors take water in here

Have they removed the power head and checked the alluminium plate that covers the top engine mounts, they corrode and you can't see this unless you physically take it off.I have had two motors take water in here

When i called the shop.. they're still inconclusive as to what the problem is... There plan is to replace all the water gaskets in the water cooling system.. Sounds like a lot of fun.. Hopefully that works! We shall see.. apparently they found 1 &1/2 gallons of water inside the engine when taking it apart.

Back