Logo

1977 Century Arabian 454 Trouble Starting

Hello,

I'm thinking about adding an inline electric fuel pump for priming purposes. I'm running a mechanical fuel pump but it does not seem to hold its prime.

I've heard not to convert completely to electric. Not sure why, Holley makes a Marine Red Pump with 7 PSI and 97 GPH (my application (400HPx0.5(BSFC))/6=33.33GPH needed), so the red pump would be perfect. Plus the red pump draws 2 amps, US Coast Guard approved, and is self-regulating, no need for a regulator.

Anyway, my main concern is that the boat takes way too long to start. Would I be able to put in a cheap in line fuel pump without bypassing the mechanical?

Thanks,

Ayuh,..... Changin' the fuel pump, won't fix a carb problem,.....

Yer float bowels are leakin' off,.....

'n it's 1 fuel pump, or the other, but not both,....

An electric fuel pump must have it's primary circuit run through an oil pressure switch, so it can't run if there's no oil pressure,....
The 2ndary circuit is fed off the outer tiny terminal of the starter's solenoid, so it'll pump when crankin' the motor on the starter,......

could just be evaporating if it sits a while (a week) between starts....if it happens overnight, then I'd agree with the bowl not being sound...

Back