Logo

which riser gasket for aMercruiser (5.0l Mpi 350 Mag Mpi Mx 6.2l Mpi Sterndrive) raw water cooled

stang32

Regular Contributor
i have a 2000 mercruiser & just got new manifolds with spacers & risers. the old ones had non restricted riser gaskets but the new one has restricted gaskets. which ones do i use? i am pressed for time & under the gun to get this done. thanks in advance for any replies

i have a 2000 mercruiser & just got new manifolds with spacers & risers. the old ones had non restricted riser gaskets but the new one has restricted gaskets. which ones do i use? i am pressed for time & under the gun to get this done. thanks in advance for any replies

Most any Raw Water Cooled engine exhaust system will require non-restricted transfer ports.
An exception to this may be if the manifolds are equipped with both inlet and outlets (seawater in and out) then with a supply to the spacer/riser and then on to the elbow.

By the way...... it is always best to see your OEM service manual for this info.
Merc is very good regarding serial number specific information.

standard manifolds or dry joint manifolds
I would use the open ones between the manifold and the riser and use restricted ones between the riser and the elbow

Most any Raw Water Cooled engine exhaust system will require non-restricted transfer ports.
An exception to this may be if the manifolds are equipped with both inlet and outlets (seawater in and out) then with a supply to the spacer/riser and then on to the elbow.

By the way...... it is always best to see your OEM service manual for this info.
Merc is very good regarding serial number specific information.

the thing is, i went to the listing by serial # ow029066 on this site & it shows a dry joint set up

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0W029066/4442077RS/8093_170

which threw me way off. because what i removed was

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser...083465&hash=item1c4abcf650:g:-dEAAOSwcldUZOKW

plus the spacers

so, which is right?

Do yourself a favor. If your engine had dry joint exhaust, and you purchased wet joint exhaust. return the wet joint and get the dry. The dumps to the "Y" pipe are different and the wet will not fit in place of the dry.

If this is what you removed from your engine, the P/O or their "mechanic" got "creative"... which is almost never good news for the subsequent owner. Replace the elbows with the dry joints that it was designed for. Dry joints are a better design and better made.

well, i alrerady bought the manifold kit i noted above and the spacers/risers. would using them be an issue? what the differnece between the standard & dry joint set up?

Back