Logo

Installing temp gauge and or water pressure gauge?

Tool

I'd like to install a temp gauge and or a water pressure gauge onto a 96 150 Fast Strike that has been giving me fits and going into SLOW mode.

How does a guy go about this, where do you plumb in and what values should you expect to see in normal operation?

Several ways to do that.-----There may be a place to screw in a sending unit on a cylinder head.-----Pressure gauge is often teed into the tell tale hose.-----Where in Saskatchewan ?-----Will be driving through on the way to Alberta again in a few weeks.----Factory kits generally have the instructions.

Several ways to do that.-----There may be a place to screw in a sending unit on a cylinder head.-----Pressure gauge is often teed into the tell tale hose.-----Where in Saskatchewan ?-----Will be driving through on the way to Alberta again in a few weeks.----Factory kits generally have the instructions.

Near Moose Jaw

Your Faststrike has a dedicated port on the cylinder heads (same heads on each side). Most guys put them on the port head as the fitting is on the inside of the head just to the right of the middle spar plug. Most motors have a brass (7/16" headed) plug. Remove the plug & put in you elbow from the kit. Warm the hose (or chew on it a minute) before sliding it up on the elbow. Put on a tyrap. I put the elbow in the down position so if hose did come off the water goes into the pan.
You heads also have a lace for screw in temp,senders for a gauge. Gauges are slow to react & can be effected by voltage spikes. Not very accurate. Water pressure is better, but both have to be monitored.

Last edited:
t2stroke - I have a 1996 150 XL Merc. I've also been trying to install a water pressure gauge with no success. There does not appear to be any dedicated port for a such fitting into the cylinder head. I ended up tee'ing it into the tell tale tubing but I get no pressure reading whatsoever. I would love to have it fitted into the block (without drilling and tapping in a new port). Am I missing where there is place to screw in the fitting? I see the temp. sensor... and temp sending unit locations. Model # 0G752730. Any thoughts really appreciated... I installed a temp gauge but the pressure would also be quite useful. Thanks!

Back