Logo

Motor Clanking Noise

Feenom19

I'm having an issue with my 454 crusader 7.4 litre motor. It's an inboard on a shaft. I have no issues when I am trolling up until about 10 knots. After that there is a loud clanking noise. The sound of it is exactly like slapping two pieces of wood together or like what you hear to alert boxers when there is ten seconds left in a boxing round. The interval is a couple clanks every two seconds.

It kinda sounds electrical but I have no idea. Some of us can't figure it out.

My anode was loose and sitting against the prop base (however I don't know if that was the issue or could be)

Any help would be appreciated.

If the anode was loose, one would think that it could be bouncing around causing a clang when it hit the prop. Start with replacing it or tightening it up and go out and trying it out.

Watch out for whirling metals but if you could get to the prop shaft while running over 10 kts and just rest your finger on the shaft you should be able to ascertain if it is/was the anode slipping or something else on the prop/prop shaft.

I have V-drives and used that procedure to ascertain that I had a very slight bend in the output shaft, (actual prop shaft)

I know it sounds weird but we did solve the problem....just be VERY CAREFUL doing the test...no long sleeves or anything that could get hooked on the shaft....

Back