Logo

1995 Mariner 90, no spark

bstig60

My son and I were about 6 miles offshore when the engine shut down like I turned off the switch, no restart. Had to be towed back in. Suggestions!

Did you pull the tether by any chance?

No, that's the first thing I checked. I also turned the kill switch off and then back on and it made no difference.... The engine turns over fine, but will not fire. Fuel getting to the engine... The way it shut down was like I turned off the key, no sputtering or hesitation... My first thought was a blown ignition fuse, but I am being told it is a Mag ignition system on this engine, so there is no ignition fuse... Have not been able to verify that in my manual as yet....

No ignition fuse on that. Have you done a compression test or open air spark test? If not do those and if they come up good, look for rubbing wires or bad connections. If you have none of those go to www.cdielectronics.com and find the test procedures for your ignition.

from cdi there is cable black with yellow stripes . disconect this cable.
if still no spark it means broken cdi, or broken stator or crank triger.

Replace stator, (bad) replaced Trigger, it checked ok but wires were a bit frayed... Replaced Switch Box and it works, finally. Took the boat for a 60 mile run and it ran fine.. Did an off shore fishing trip yesterday, total run was about 40 miles and the engine ran fine... Hopefully, no more trouble!!

Back