Logo

?2006 bf90 new to me. Was it sunk? any advice or help appreciated!

Mdizzl

Hello all. Thanks in advance for any of your comments. All input will be appreciated. Feel free to weigh in with any opinion or advice.

I recently purchased a whaler montauk with a Honda 90 sight unseen because it was a good deal. I'm afraid it's not actually as good a deal as I thought. The corrosion on the inside is significant and far worse than lots I've seen online. I'm wondering if you think it's been drowned.

Also, there is what appears to be an exhaust connection that has been circumvented (capped off) and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?

I'm looking for advice on cleaning, getting the mineralized crap off of it, and any other thoughts you may have. Hopefully I can upload some pics.

image1 (9).jpgimage1 (7).jpgimage1 (8).JPGimage1 (6).jpgimage1 (5).jpgimage1 (4).jpg

The blanked of hose is just a flush port, they were blanked of because the one way valve tends to leak and they are not necessary. If it runs okay, just clean it up, service and use it until it dies. There is nothing to say it sunk, just a little lack of love mixed with saltwater results in a messy looking engine.

That looks similar to my 225 and that's not been in the water!
One of the fun things about buying something used is spending some time cleaning it up. You'll be fine as long as it runs ok now.

You can easily replace a number of the bolts with new ones without any issues to smarten it up.

Don't forget you bought a whaler...... They don't sink!

Last edited:
Hard to tell from pictures whether or not it's been sunk.

Change all fluids and filters and make sure it's running well. Check thoroughly for oil or water leaks. Compression test it.

Then get several brass wire brushes and some CRC 6-56 or WD-40 and go to work cleaning it up. Patience, patience, patience.....

Also - a Dremel tool with stiff brush bits will make it a bit easier.

Looks like a saltwater engine with an owner that didn't care much for maintenance. CRC, WD40 and also White Vinegar in a spray bottle along with Scotchbrite pads does wonders.

Does it run?

If it runs, I would do the following as starters considering it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet:

1. New plugs
2. New Fuel filters
3. New Oil + Oil filter
4. Check fuel lines and replace as needed
5. Check the belt and replace as needed
6. Pull off the thermostat cover and water inlet cover, clean, replace seals and put a new thermostat in it
7. Lower unit oil
8. Replace the entire water pump housing and impeller for good measure as the previous owner probably did nothing.
9. Pick up some of this stuff on Amazon and spray it on all the rust and electrical and scrub, clean and dry as needed. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000N9N...olid=3C52WE7FWWGUN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Back