Logo

Manifold Question

smbdck

This refers to a Crusader 8.1 MPI fresh water cooled engine.

Is there any way to check just a manifold for an internal leak of coolant without removing it ?

Fo exhaust manifolds, fastest way is just use a pressure tester on the coolant side.....if needed, you can drain it and cap off or plug the fittings and pressure test it that way.

Fo exhaust manifolds, fastest way is just use a pressure tester on the coolant side.....if needed, you can drain it and cap off or plug the fittings and pressure test it that way.

Drain the entire system (8 gals) or is there a way to just drain the manifold. My mechanic says it is impossible to pressure check just the manifold while still attached to the engine. How is it done ?

When I pressure test the cooling system, I do it full.....if the system holds, there's nothing to worry about.

Assuming the cooling system isn't holding pressure, a thorough inspection usually locates the leak. If not, and you have an unspecified reason to suspect the exhaust manifold, you can drain the suspect manifold. Then remove the hoses and cap them or pull the fittings and thread in plugs. The 'hard part' is the riser/elbow connection. I've found it best to remove the riser/elbow and fab a block-off plate for the water passages. One of the threaded holes can be used for measuring and pressurizing the water jacket.

Your mechanic is entitled to his opinion....

Back