Logo

Shifter cable issue?

Rob602pa

Hey guys, new here and hoping I can get some input. I have 92' Four Winn's Horizon 190 . OMC Cobra 5.0

Not sure much of that matters but was at lake and it started going in reverse when I pushed forward. Also goes standard reverse when pulling back on lever. Prop is not stopping when in neutral either. I can upload pics but I don't see anything that looks out of place.

Any help is appreciated.

Rob

I’ll suggest that you have an issue with your Throttle/Shift unit.
In other words, it is operating the shift cable in the “reverse engagement” direction even while moving the shift lever in what would normally be the “forward engagement” direction.

Test:

1..... make a shift into “reverse” while observing the direction/movement of the lower shift cable.
2..... make a shift into what should be “forward” while observing the direction/movement of the same cable.

Knowing how a Dog Clutch system works, I’ll bet that this cable is being moved in the same direction regardless of which Throttle/Shift selection you have made.

Thanks guys this is resolved. The end of the cable broke off inside the plastic sleeve. The sleeve cracked as well.

I rode my bike over to a local Marine repair shop and he had one on hand and gave me the piece. Great guy. I'll service with him in the future.

Don't know how to post photos from my phone.

Back